Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd be interested to hear from fellow saxophonists who play in sax quartets and where I can continue to develop my quartets repertoire. We have been together now just over a year sometimes we include a drummer in our set up. We prefer SATB music but some parts are written AATB. Also we tend to play upbeat modernish type music such as jazz, rock, ballad, reggae and the like rather than classical. Occasionally we also play the odd classical arrangement but that is not really our thing. Basically we are looking at developing a modern repertoire so any links to good web sites appreciated.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
My sax quartet, Thrascher, does all original music. Combines Jazz, New Music, lots of room for (often free) improvisation. Many of the tunes are groove oriented and can work well with drum set accomp.

You can hear our stuff and check out scores at our website (link below) and purchase mp3 audio files or PDF files of the scores and parts.

Hope you like it!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah i occasionally buy stuff from the 4 a 4 Sax Quartet site. We probably have about 150 charts. Its very useful and also sheetmusicplus. However i see a lot of bands playing stuff that does'nt seem readily avaialble anywhere. I guess a lot of guys are writing their own stuff. Makes senses as their are a lot of really bad arrangements out their for sax 4tet. Some really cool stuff too. DukeCity i really like your concept of laying down a groove and doing all that 'free jazz' stuff. Had a listen to some of your wav files. Its probably a million miles away from the stuff we play but very nice. On the classical front does anybody know where i can get hold of a sax 4tet by Faure called 'Pavanne' i think it was originally for flute if that helps. Cheers,

TC.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,925 Posts
The famous Faure Pavanne was written for orchestra with chorus. The tune has been done for many different ensembles I'm sure a sax 4tet has to exist somewhere.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not quite the one i wanted but just purchased Faure's 'Berceuse', if anybody comes across his more famous work 'Pavanne' send me a link or a PM. Cheers, TC.

·
Registered
197 Posts
"Four For Tango" by Astor Piazzolla is a lot of fun and very challenging for all four parts.

I should be getting a recording of a performance of four for tango i did last fall in the mail sometime soon. I'll let you know when I get it if you'd like to hear it.

Another jazz arrangment to check out is "Picasso Cubed." It was written for the Jazzax Quartet by Fred Sturm. Also a very fun and challenging piece. It is based on a Coleman Hawkins solo improvisation called Picasso.

Those two should give you quite a bit to work on :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,925 Posts
Try googling "faure pavanne midi" and do it yourself. It's not a particularly difficult piece to arrange. Playing the pizzicato part on tenor will be more of a challenge.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
The Faure Pavane is published by R Smith in England. It's a nice arrangement for sax 4-tet; not too difficult, but very satisfying. It is part of our standard repertoire.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Found Faure's 'Pavanne' on Sibeliusmusic.com, the problem now is getting my annoying printer to print said piece.:?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Phew finally my printer is working again. Ok downloaded Sibelius version.

Please keep em coming, any good SATB sax charts :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
"Four for Tango" is a great SATB chart, and very challenging, I played bari on that one a few years ago. Lots of fun to do. Dohertyjazz's recording is great, a little faster than we played it.

A great quartet chart is "Deer Head Sketches" by Phil Woods (yes, the jazz alto player). Lots of solos in every movement, stylistically varied, fun to play.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great recording however that constant high squeak in the background did'nt work for me, it just became annoying however the tonal texture and cohesion in the group was excellant. I guess music is a very personal thing and in our group we tend to stay safe in our material 99% of the time. Were using the drummer a lot more now and utilising a lot more music from the recognised popular music as well as jazz standards. We do like to play the occasional classical piece though. Its interesting though to see what you other sax 4tets are playing. I doubt i could get a paid gig using 'Four for Tango' :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts