Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear sotw members!

Is there any tips for finding music/arr. for sax quartet with bass sax instead of baritone. Or low sax quartet (ATBBs, TTBBs...)?

-Hermanni

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
I've never seen any music in either of those categories. My suggestion is to do your own arrangements, because even if you can find a quartet with a bass part, you won't find many. The simplest approach would be just to transpose the baritone parts in standard SATB scores.

Another option is to form a quintet instead. I think it's more likely that you will find SATBBs music than SATBs. Or, you could try playing SATTB arrangements with a bass replacing the second tenor. It would invert some of the chords, but might be interesting.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
Conn: 6M, 26M, 28M, 30M. Barone Bb soprano. Conn C-melody, C soprano. Antigua bari.
680 Posts
I played in a quartet of ATBBs, but we arranged our own music. It was a one-off performance w/ an audience-specific repertoire (college songs of my alma mater), so I don't think the arrangements would interest you. It was a cool sound, though.

·
Registered
333 Posts
A friend of mine told me, that he got arrangements for quintet and sixtet with basssax from Paul Cohen, when he bought a mouthpiece from him, so maybe he could help.

I think, if you only transposed the baritone parts of normal quartet material into a bass voice, you better stayed with the bari...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for answers! I thought it´s quite impossible to find anything ready-made. There is great arrs for 4+2 inc. bass on Hollywood Sax Quartet site but in our "neighbourhood" it´s hard to find +2... Sopranino is also great add to quartet!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.