Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it really detrimental for a sax player to also learn the trumpet.
Apparently the old school of thinking was that woodwind and brasswind do not mix as it will ruin your lips. For which instrument it would do this, I don't know.
Ronald

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
...only reason more people dont do it is because everyone says you cant

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Yeah, go ahead. In college and HS, I played just about everything.

I draw the line at trombones, however. No sax player should be caught dead playing a trombone. Just not right. :baby:

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I draw the line at Tuba,but Euphonium is okay!!!!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I did some research into this and yes, Benny Carter is a prime example. Particularly entertaining anecdote in Dizzy's autobiog where he convinces Benny to pull out his trumpet and wails like he was a 1-horn man... I've dabbled with trumpet (I have a 1923 Conn 18B ebay special) and haven't had any issues, slightly different lip muscles so can't say it would be detrimental in that sense as you are probably reinforcing the sax muscles as well. It's great though for throat control, I really got a better conception of that during trumpet practice that I could then apply to sax. Only negative I can think of is I get a little tingling/numbness in the lips themselves from the vibration when I haven't played often, but nothing that troubling. However every moment I play trumpet I'm not working on sax... so as Eugene said, it's hard to find the time so if you got it, bust it.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
I draw the line at Tuba,but Euphonium is okay!!!!
When I was a freshman at U of I (Urbana) in 1975, I wanted to change my major instrument from sax to euphonium. Hated the sax professor there that much! Played euphonium well enough to pass the audition, but in the end, just decided to change schools the next year.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,921 Posts
Provided you are prepared to do a LOT of practise, especially whole developing your embouchures, then yes there is no problem.

Herb Hardesty is another great example

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I Thank all of you for your response.
I have decided that I will just stick with the Alto sax.
I have played acoustic guitar since about nine years old, Highland Pipes since 29, and took up the Alto about 4 years ago.
Inasmuch as I like the tone of the trumpet, it is the smooth controlled tone that I enjoy hearing from great players, which is something that I would never acheive.
After all, I am 53 years old.
Cheers
Ronald

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,107 Posts
I imagine it's a lot easier for trumpeters to learn sax than vice versa.

Brasses require extreme strength in the embouchure muscles to allow strong tone and good range. A good trumpeter has iron chops by definition. The muscular requirements for the saxophone or clarinet are more along the lines of subtlety of control.

A few times a year I bring out my 1923 Conn vocal cornet and mess around. The sheer power and pressure needed to play a pure steady tone, or sound a note at all above F on the staff, always discourage me. I think the longest I managed to practice it daily was a week. I am 44yo, FWIW.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
what's the point of the thread then??

btw trumpet is NOT for wimps

1 - 14 of 14 Posts