Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...well I thought it might be a good idea,when my girlfriend doesnt feel like hearing my sax... didnt really want to pay for one!! got one with an old horn

...what the heck????? it doesnt hardly do anything!!!!!!

does anyone actually use these things????

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Which mute? There are a few different ones out there.

I had an E-Sax Tenor mute and couldn't get any work done with the thing. It was very heavy and very humid in there after playing for about 30 minutes. The back aches that thing gave me! Also, the electronics sounded bad. Don't ask me about the reverb or the metronome.

Needless to say, I sold it at a loss.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh...i have the standard metal ring with cork.... id say a little bit of overtones are muffled...but the volume is still the same

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Yeah, I would think those things just would be terrible. Never used one. I have given up on the whole mute thing.

I have an Isolation Booth now that cuts about 50-60% of the sound. I can practice at soft levels and my wife can't hear me while in our bedroom down the hall.

:)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Those are used to smoothing out the horn's low end. It doesn't really "mute" the saxophone.....though it really does make the low end less honky

·
Registered
439 Posts
Yeah, I have one of the SG ones I grabbed just to see if they work. They do muffle some of the lower mids, but your highs will still be loud.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...my girlfriend may not want to hear it,but she doesnt mind reading about sax....now she's pi$$ed!!!!

·
Registered
836 Posts
There's a mute called "Saxmute" made by a French Company called Magilanck. It's these little sponge like things that go in the neck and mouthpiece. It creates some extra resistance, but it works. It claims to reduce volume by 50% which seems about right.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,021 Posts
Those are used to smoothing out the horn's low end. It doesn't really "mute" the saxophone.....though it really does make the low end less honky
Are you implying that these things do anything at all to improve the sound of a sax? The lows are only 'honky' if you want them to be! Sometimes it sounds great to get that honk going on, other times you don't want it so just back off on the air speed.

If you want a mute for the purpose of reducing volume, try just putting a rolled up sock in the bell. No need to buy something for this purpose. I have a walkin closet full of clothes that works pretty well. I'd rather do that since I really hate muting the horn. It wasn't meant to be played that way.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
Those silly mute things were all the rage at Interlochen Arts Camp in 1995! Haven't really seen them since :) .

·
Registered
155 Posts
They are common with classical players, particularly of the Teal persuasion. Calling them a 'mute' is a bit of a misnomer. They aren't mutes like brass mutes. From The Art of Saxophone Playing: "The purpose of the mute is twofold: to reduce the volume and to absorb some of the higher overtones, giving the tone a more mellow character." They aren't really effective in reducing volume as much as they absorb higher overtones in the lower notes. I've never known anyone to buy them, though. They're always homemade.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well the vibes DEFINATELY works...but that's pretty science fiction...the saxgourmet is basically what i have and the LeBayle...man thats funny!!! and yes!! i bet it works...looks like something to clean beer glasses with!!!!!

the problem with a sock...for all you idiots to which this has happened to on a gig know very well!!!!...not only does the sound get dampened,but the horn doesnt respond correctly either!!!!!

·
Forum Contributor 2012-2015
1,325 Posts
I have the Lebayle mute for alto. With all the parts in the horn it is nearly impossible for me to play. I cut the piece that goes into the mouthpiece in half and only used the small half. This made it a bit easier to play,but not much. With the piece that goes in the neck receiver and the piece that goes in the bell the sax the volume is reduced a pretty good bit but the horn is still pretty difficult to play. Maybe this would work better on the tenor but I wouldn't take a chance on it.

Another alternative is the "El Saxco Silent Bag". These were available from WWBW ten or so years ago. It works somewhat like the E-Sax but instead of a hard case it is a soft "gig bag" type case with flaps that open for your hands and the neck to go in. It mutes the sound more than the Lebayle and less than the e-sax and is not nearly as heavy as the e-sax. Don't know why,but these did not go over very well. It's somewhat of a compromise,but it has afforded me many hours of practice in hotel rooms and other places that I could not have played otherwise. I searched a few years ago and these were still available in Europe.

·
Registered
397 Posts
well the vibes DEFINATELY works...but that's pretty science fiction...the saxgourmet is basically what i have and the LeBayle...man thats funny!!! and yes!! i bet it works...looks like something to clean beer glasses with!!!!!
I seriously doubt the SG mute would work. It might kill some projection but the sound of a sax come out from every opened tone holes.

OTOH I have a LeBayle mute for soprano. It consists of 3 pieces of "sponge" to be put into mouthpiece, neck/body transition and bell flare respectively. Basically only the mouthpiece part matters. With the mute on and air support remaining the same, I can only play small hissing notes at the mid range, and intonation suffers a lot. The volume at that point is small; or I can blow my face red to produce in-tune notes from it, but then it can hardly be considered muted.

I think the Lebayle mute is for practice purpose mainly, but some say when one can produce in-tune notes on it without chaning air-support/embouchure, one would have mastered air-support and control. I'm not remotely good enough to verify it (yet :mrgreen:)

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I think the Lebayle mute is for practice purpose mainly, but some say when one can produce in-tune notes on it without chaning air-support/embouchure, one would have mastered air-support and control.
This is what I felt. I am wondering if it would be that way for the tenor version.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I own both an E-sax (for alto) and a Saxgourmet mute. The E-sax works perfectly for me, but it isn't very comfortable, specially in the summer. I usually resort to it when I'm in the mood for playing at unearthly hours. It gives the same volume than a switched-on TV (low).
Most of the time, I use the Saxgourmet mute. According to my girlfriend, in a small apartment, with the mute in the sax my practicing time went from "unbearable" to "tolerable". At sensible hours, it doesn't bother my neighbors at all. The effect isn't very noticeable in the same room you're playing, but this little thing makes a huge difference at a distance, specially if besides there's walls and doors in between. And it doesn't affect to your hands movement

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I had one of those "felt donuts" many years ago when I was playing legit alto. I did find there was a slight change in the tone colour at low volumes in the low register (bells keys particulaly). However, it is quite subtle. I agree this unit is really not a "mute" in the same sense as a brass mute. I also tried out the metal mutes for soprano. I didn't find an appreciable difference in tone with this. My purpose for the soprano mute was to practice in my apartment without being evicted! I found a used "whisperoom" on ebay and haven't looked back. It is not soundproof but is not as loud as a TV so I can practice anytime 24/7 if my heart desires. I considered the e-sax units but never had an opportunity to try one. There have been some who are on the forum who do like these things.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts