Sax on the Web Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Stuff like this will take me away from this forum. Music is absolutely, unequivocally the world's only universal language. If you are moved to make music then make music. Music comes from your soul.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Soul? I'm pretty sure music comes mostly from the brain. I'm also fairly certain that not all music is received the same way universally by everyone. A lot depends on your musical background and cultural context. Music is a "universal language" only in the sense that it's relatively non-referential, at least in the abstract. Add in the history of particular instruments, songs, modes, scales, arrangements, lyrics and performers, and it gets culturally specific pretty quickly.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I can think of lots of reasons someone might be interested to know more about LGBT composers. I have a harder time understanding why some people seem offended by the question.

Aaron Copland hasn't been mentioned yet, perhaps because (AFAIK) he did not write for saxophone. But his clarinet concerto (written for Benny Goodman) is tremendous, so maybe that counts?

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Aaron Copland hasn't been mentioned yet, perhaps because (AFAIK) he did not write for saxophone. But his clarinet concerto (written for Benny Goodman) is tremendous, so maybe that counts?
There are saxophone parts in Copland's Piano Concerto (alto, sop) and Symphony No. 1 (alto). But no solo works from him.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
1,217 Posts
Stuff like this will take me away from this forum. Music is absolutely, unequivocally the world's only universal language. If you are moved to make music then make music. Music comes from your soul.
It's a forum. If a particular thread bothers you, simply don't read it.

Seems like a perfectly legitimate question to me, as do the responses that the question is not relevant. My answer to the latter: I've always thought curiosity was a good thing, regardless of where it is pointed.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,529 Posts
Stuff like this will take me away from this forum.
Of course, the forum and its policy of allowing discussion is not to everyone's taste, nor is it compulsory.

Music is absolutely, unequivocally the world's only universal language.
Well, that is open to debate. Could be be quite a good discussion because some may say it's not a language, others may say it is but so is dance and other art forms.

But are you able to say how it is relevant to this thread?

If you are moved to make music then make music. Music comes from your soul.
Again, a good debate could come from that. But again, are you able to say how it is relevant to this thread?

I've always thought curiosity was a good thing, regardless of where it is pointed.
Ah the universal language of curiosity, comes from your soul :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,497 Posts
Maybe not. We've had specific threads on composers and players who are female, Christian, Muslim, Japanese, Irish, and all manner of ethnic, religious, or national identities. This thread's relevant for exactly the same reason: because people with different identities have differing experiences that may not only influence their music in interesting ways, but also inspire different audiences.
Agree 100%. Thanks for posting it.

People seem to either miss this point, or will publicly react TO it in a rather dismissive fashion....whereas they would remain mute should the subject have been Sax Music by African Americans....New Englanders...Canadians....Aborigines.... the Saami, etc.

That this holds significance to some people is completely understandable, and IMHO it does have significance.

I can think of lots of reasons someone might be interested to know more about LGBT composers. I have a harder time understanding why some people seem offended by the question.
+1.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Hello, thanks to all those who actually answered. I should've given more context, I'm working on programming my Senior Recital for next year and I am wanting to play music by LGBT composers which is why I'm interested. Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,237 Posts
Plenty of Billy Strayhorn tunes to choose from.
Lionel Bart, Gary Burton, Stephane Grappelli and Peter Maxwell Davies are some composers I can think of but none specific to sax.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,733 Posts
Well if you do leave, I don't know just quite how we'll get on without your massive involvement here. 14 posts in 1.5 years, that's prolific.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
"Stuff" like what?

What in this thread, precisely, has lead you to make such a very strong assertion (and a latent passive-aggressive one at that) that you will be "taken away" (whatever that means) from this forum as a result of your exposure to this "stuff"?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011
2,578 Posts
Hello, thanks to all those who actually answered. I should've given more context, I'm working on programming my Senior Recital for next year and I am wanting to play music by LGBT composers which is why I'm interested. Thanks!
I believe Henry Cowell qualifies as well. Air and Scherzo is a challenging piece. Reading his bio seems like fodder for a tragic movie plot.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Does it matter what a composer or musician's sexual orientation is ?

Tony Jackson, the only pianist Jelly Roll Morton avowed was a better musician than himself, wrote Pretty Baby. It's interesting that the pretty baby referred to was a boyfriend of Jackson's, but that has no effect on the glorious timeless melody that Jackson composed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,409 Posts
Well 'The Brute'- Ben Webster could play the hell out of a saxophone...........dunno 'bout his composing. Not many people 'outside the biz' knew that though. Back in Ben's era this was strictly taboo and the merest suspicion could spell the end of a career. Younger generations can not begin to understand the 'social conventions' of former-not so distant- times.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
Well 'The Brute'- Ben Webster could play the hell out of a saxophone...........dunno 'bout his composing. Not many people 'outside the biz' knew that though. Back in Ben's era this was strictly taboo and the merest suspicion could spell the end of a career. Younger generations can not begin to understand the 'social conventions' of former-not so distant- times.
I had no idea Ben Webster was gay.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts