Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 64 Posts

· Registered
6,108 Posts
If you wanna wait a bit John Corigliano is apparently working on a saxophone concerto, according to an NPR interview recently.
Wow, that's excellent news. I really like his Red Violin score and the Chaconne and then full Violin Concerto that he derived from it. Plus, it never hurts to have a "name" composer write for the sax.

· Registered
6,108 Posts
A little bit ot, because it's not strictly related to composers for saxophone:
"Alex Ross: The rest is noise" is imo a great book about the music of the 20th century. The author says that he is homosexual and his focus is a bit on Copland, Britten, Cage and others. Or perhaps better said: He mentiones sometimes en passant that a composer is homosexual where other books would not mention it. I especially like about the book, that he, coming from classical music, is open minded about jazz and rock.
That book should be a good source for inspiration for the OPs question.
I've read The Rest is Noise (or rather, I listened to it as an audiobook while commuting), and I agree that it's an excellent, long, extremely "chewy" book (i.e., packed with nuggets of information that need to be processed). I don't remember the author's statement about himself, but it's true that he does pay attention to this issue with respect to the composers he covers.

1 - 4 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.