Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I look for a new saxophone, I stumble upon phrases like "With the right mouthpiece and reeed setup, the saxophone plays flawlessly from bottom to top" or "This sax resonates extremely and has a full bodied tone". Should not all saxohhpones have these traits?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,409 Posts
Yes, they should. If you are an experienced player with a good mouthpiece, you use that to test a sax. Otherwise, you have no basis for comparison. A lot of the time when they talk about 'the right mouthpiece/reed', they are referring to vintage saxes which can have peculiarities.

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
Yeah, don’t get caught up in all of the craziness.

Just find a mouthpiece that works well for you whether it’s vintage or modern or refaced or original, and find a saxophone that works well for you whether it’s vintage or modern or relacquered or original.

Too much craziness in the saxophone world. Just find a good horn and a good mouthpiece that work well for you and stop looking.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys. Nice to hear that my intuition was right. Some say that the YAS 62 is among the best deals in the world and that everything else is just snobbery. Perhaps I should stop at this instrument, but I read blog posts and dream of better instruments...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for the replys. Nice to hear that my intuition was right. Some say that the YAS 62 is among the best deals in the world and that everything else is just snobbery. Perhaps I should stop at this instrument, but I read blog posts and dream of better instruments...
If you have the ability, you should try to find a place to AB your horn vs some other horns. A friend of mine (Him: YAS 82Z Me: YAS 61) did that at a shop with a bunch of horns: a couple Mark VIs, a Balanced Action, a Serie III, an SX90R, a Martin, some Kings and even a SaxDakota. We mostly went away finding that we enjoyed our horns more than we thought.

Who knows, maybe a RyanAir flight and a night in a London Hostel to visit Sax.co.uk's shop is in your future.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply. Yes, that would be best. Perhaps they have a wider collection of saxes than what I can find locally. Luckily these days, there are several cheap airlines (other than Ryan Air).

·
Registered
101 Posts
Are you fairly new to playing saxophone? The 62 is a perfectly fine instrument. It's even finer if you love playing it. I agree with hallda that if you can, play some other saxes in a store and have the fun of trying them all out for free. If you are fairly new then I'd probably pay more attention to your mouthpiece right now - if you are playing the supplied 4C mouthpiece then you might enjoy seeing what some other mouthpieces can do for you.

At the end of the day, people can and will spend their money how they like and I shouldn't worry too much about what other people play.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,866 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Yes, that would be best. Perhaps they have a wider collection of saxes than what I can find locally. Luckily these days, there are several cheap airlines (other than Ryan Air).
Musicians shouldn't fly Ryanair. They have the most awful rep with carrying your instrument on board.
On topic: 10mfan is right. Get a good horn and mouthpiece and start making music. Don't think about all the gear you don't have; just focus on the stuff you do have.
Hard to go wrong with a Yamaha; they are very good horns that will last you a lifetime.

·
7,904 Posts
You could do a lot worse than a YAS 62.
For the money I would say they are certainly a strong contender if looking at new horns.
They are well built, they intone well and they are pretty well priced.
Although I’m sure there will be someone who wants to say that they’re bland sounding or some other rubbish to that effect.
I would offer that perhaps they are on the brighter side of current options (IMO) along with the Yanagisawa A901/AW01.
But that’s not something that cannot be modified with Mouthpiece/reed selection.

·
Registered
101 Posts
For the money I would say they are certainly a strong contender if looking at new horns.
Although I’m sure there will be someone who wants to say that they’re bland sounding or some other rubbish to that effect.
I would offer that perhaps they are on the brighter side of current options (IMO) along with the Yanagisawa A901/AW01.
But that’s not something that cannot be modified with Mouthpiece/reed selection.
I agree, they are bright (a 62 was my first horn) and the 4C mouthpiece is a bright mouthpiece too. I think my first MPC change was to a 4CM.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are you fairly new to playing saxophone? The 62 is a perfectly fine instrument. It's even finer if you love playing it. I agree with hallda that if you can, play some other saxes in a store and have the fun of trying them all out for free. If you are fairly new then I'd probably pay more attention to your mouthpiece right now - if you are playing the supplied 4C mouthpiece then you might enjoy seeing what some other mouthpieces can do for you.

At the end of the day, people can and will spend their money how they like and I shouldn't worry too much about what other people play.
Thanks for the reply. Yes and no. I did play sax for nine years, then stopped and now I am recently back in business. Yes, would love to hear suggestions for mouthpieces. Just purchased Meyer 6M ebonite. A step up from the 4C mouthpiece.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree with you on the value for the money and also the relatively low price. Nice to know that I could do a lot worse than a YAS 62. So your advice is stick with the YAS 62, which seems like a good advice. One suggestion given by another is to consider a different mouthpiece.

·
7,904 Posts
I agree with you on the value for the money and also the relatively low price. Nice to know that I could do a lot worse than a YAS 62. So your advice is stick with the YAS 62, which seems like a good advice. One suggestion given by another is to consider a different mouthpiece.
I see you just got a Meyer 6m.
I’d spend some time with this combination before chasing any other pieces.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Yes and no. I did play sax for nine years, then stopped and now I am recently back in business. Yes, would love to hear suggestions for mouthpieces. Just purchased Meyer 6M ebonite. A step up from the 4C mouthpiece.
Well as you know what works for one person doesn't for another. If you like the Meyer then try and stick with it for a while (and try with different reeds), you can spend a lot of money looking for the holy grail. It's really best to get to a good store and try them. If that's not an option and you have to order online then look for suppliers who will let you test mouthpieces and return them if you don't get on with them.. Dawkes Music in the UK will let you return MPCs within 14 days and they refund minus a small deduction for sterilisation.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts