Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a year ago I purchased a neotech sax harness to use with my bari. My back had gotten to the point where I couldn't use a standard strap without getting numbness in my hand. Once I got use to the positioning, it was OK and solved the numbness problem. Anyway I have found that the harness has stretched to the point that I can't ideally position the mouthpiece anymore (even with it pulled all the way up).

Anyone have any ideas on a better harness and what size (regular or long etc) it should be. Is the neotech super harness any good?

Comments welcome!

·
Registered
250 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
I have a Bluenote, a Slider, and a Gemini harness.

The blue note is the most free moving, the swinger is more restrictive but has nice comfortable wide straps and the Gemini I use for Bass sax.

I don't buy Neotechs because of the stretchy fabric.

I use the Blue note harness mostly because I can sit with it without restriction.

·
Registered
800 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,759 Posts
I like the Slider a lot and can use it on both tenor and bari without readjustment.

The single shoulder straps also work quite well and are easier to get in and out of — the Slider sort of makes you look like you've got a parachute on but it is very comfortable when you're standing up for three sets, or playing in a pit band where you can suspend your big horn in your lap while playing clarinet or flute.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I just got a Neotech Super Harness, and it works pretty well. The important thing for me is that it allows for left/right movement. (looks like the slider straps do that too). Since I'm a big guy, and was getting it for bari, I ordered the XL size of the Super Harness, but had trouble getting the strap to be short enough. Just received a regular size one and it is just fine. Makes playing 3-4 hr gig MUCH easier on bari!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Brancher

Brancher ...nice solid strap, broad surface area for support, a good hook design, and no stretch. Saxforte item.
Neotech straps, as said in a prior post, stretch...especially with bari...stretch really isn't the proper word for it's materials design problem...BOUNCE...is the better description. It makes playing much more difficult (especially bari) cuz it makes holding the instrument steady near impossible.
Bought the "superharness"..had another neotech show up with an alto I purchased...threw both in the trash.

·
Registered
800 Posts
shotgun said:
I like the Slider a lot and can use it on both tenor and bari without readjustment.

The single shoulder straps also work quite well and are easier to get in and out of — the Slider sort of makes you look like you've got a parachute on but it is very comfortable when you're standing up for three sets, or playing in a pit band where you can suspend your big horn in your lap while playing clarinet or flute.

I wear a black shirt during our quartet performances sometimes so the Parachute safety harness look is minimized. The wide straps make it comfortable for long stand up use.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
A have a spinstrap which a like very much and just recently got a freeneck that realy takes the weight from the neck.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I've got a BG harness that I don't really like. I've found it hard to adjust to my liking. That said I have a problem finding shirts that fit as well... Wide neck, wide chest, not very wide shoulders... I got it too close to the body and could not get it out on the side where I like it. Especially when standing.
However I like the Kölbl harness a lot better. It is a very simple construction, just a figure 8 over the shoulders/back and a strap over the chest where the hook is located. The figure 8 is also made much wider (app. 5cm) than the BG straps.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,679 Posts
I was using the BG strap with the "horse collar" but recently I made up my own strap using one of those embroidered guitar straps. I saw something similar on eBay and since I had one of them hanging around, I decided to try out the concept myself. It works better than the BG by spreading the load over a wider surface area.

Anyone know the name of the setup that has suspenders(braces) that clip onto the back of your trousers? Looks like that would take the load off the neck. Might give your pants the "high water" style of Steve Urkle... :cool:

·
Registered
652 Posts
I'm about to get my own bari after decades of not playing at all and am looking for the right strap. So the references to BG, spinstrap, freeneck and Brancher would be a lot more helpful if there were links associated with them (as there were with the first few posts). So if you post a strap you like, please take a second and gives us the URLs so we can check them out.

Thanks

·
878 Posts
ToreH said:
A simple one shoulder bari strap that works for me :

http://www.wittman-spins.com/spinstraps.html

Just remember to put it on the right shoulder
I have a Spinstrap. You can use it on either shoulder, although one position will definitely feel more "natural" than the other. I think if you read the instructions on the Spinstrap, they tell you to alternate from shoulder to shoulder. The Spinstrap definitely works well with a bari.

I didn't like the Spinstrap on tenor. It puts too much pressure on the wrists and feels awkward to me. I used the Spinstrap for a while with my tenor, too, but went back to a regular Neotech neckstrap.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Thanks for the urls

Bar-ron - thanks for the urls - it seems that the Spinstrap for sax is not expensive. The site says:

Wittman SPINSTRAP Model 700: $39.95
The SaxStrap for saxes and bassoon

The $129 model says it is for guitar and bass.

If the $39 version works for a bari, that's not bad.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thank you!

Thanks to everyone for their input. It has been exceedingly helpful and given me a number of directions to go in.
:)

·
Registered
800 Posts
Conrado said:
Bar-ron - thanks for the urls - it seems that the Spinstrap for sax is not expensive. The site says:

Wittman SPINSTRAP Model 700: $39.95
The SaxStrap for saxes and bassoon

The $129 model says it is for guitar and bass.

If the $39 version works for a bari, that's not bad.
I thought that price was stunningly high, sorry about the miscue,:shock:

·
4,544 Posts
I had both a Neotech and a Gemini harness. I did not like the hook on the Gemini and the Neotech was more comfortable...I even use it for long tenor gigs at this point. I also have a Spinstrap which works well (for me) when seated, but doesn't feel secure enough for me when standing or (particularly) jumping around on a blues band gig...

·
Banned
2,206 Posts
I know I should probably start a new thread for this, but since the topic has already been addressed, what's the best (IYHO) harness strap for tenor? I play an SML and Buffet SDA (both heavy tenors), and really want to pick up a strap that would take the pressure off my neck.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts