Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting into classical music and am wondering what are some good alto saxophone classical mouthpieces. Preferably under $150 new. I currently play a 5 Meyer that was changed to make it more open than a 6 (kinda like a 6*). I can wail on it quite a bit. So basically i am looking for something that is quite opposite. Something that is easier to control dynamics, and accents. I am looking for everyones opinion. (This is for a Yanagisawa Alto Sax)

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
LukeAndHisSax, I suggest looking through this thread. It has a good list of some classical mouthpieces for which you can start looking through. Most if not all of these listed are within your price range. And the best way of course to find the best mouthpiece for you is to try them yourself. But this will give you a good basis so you know what to look for depending on your tone concept.

·
Registered
253 Posts
That is a great and informative thread. I would personally recommend the Vandoren Optimum (AL3), and a 2nd would be the Selmer S90 (C*/C**). I can't tell you how you like your pieces to play, but the Vandoren is a hands down favorite by me. It is relatively easy to play (not a ton of resistance like Selmers or a Caravan) as well as having great response and tone. But again, definitely see if you can try some out.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 &
1,270 Posts
You might want to check out the Rousseau NC4--I've liked it a great deal, and I think it's more modestly priced than some of the others that are mentioned.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks everyone! I will go and check out the link to thread that Lovano1239 directed me to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Go try:

Vandoren AL 3 and AL4 (optimum)
Vandoren A27 and A28

Rousseau NC4--try a few of these. I've never played one but I hear that they can be very different from mouthpiece to mouthpiece.

Maybe a Selmer S80 or S90

If you can find the Bamber (maybe at WWBW) that might be fun to try.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I know that they get a bad rap around here but I play Selmer s80's on all my horns for 'classical' work. I use C*'s on Sop and Alto, D on Tenor and E on Bari.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008
3,805 Posts
The stock Yani 5 is a very good classical piece if you still have it.

·
Registered
502 Posts
OP, my first suggestions are to look at the Rousseau pieces. They offer a big sound and much control and focus. The Selmer S80 C* is one of the standards, but the Larry Teal Selmer is a much more advanced choice if you were to look at Selmers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey, I would suggest using the modified Meyer 5M you have. Many people say these mouthpieces are not for classical music but when you consider Grover Washington Jr he used a Meyer 7M in all sorts of music; including classical! Don't believe me, check out his albumn "Aria" with the song "O Soave Fanciulla". A Meyer works really well for classical and for any other music you may come across.

You can wail pretty good on the Meyer but you can't finese it. With enough practice you will be able to finese the mouthpiece softly and be able to have a purer rounder tone with it. It was hard for me to do at first but trust me, if you can do a nice gentle ballad on a Meyer you can do classical repetoire on it as well.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Selmers are too inconsistent in my opinion and usually too bright and edgy. Another vote here for the Vandoren Optimums and also try the new Clark Fobes. My students all sounded really good on both of these.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
631 Posts
I am using a vintage Selmer Soloist C* and was using the LT for a good while. Recently, I bought a Yanagisawa A992.
I like bit of resistance to give a lush feel. will love to have sub tone through all registers :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts