Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP i Can't hit altissimo on the sax! my main insterment is the clarinet and i can hit altissimo with no prob... but i can't on the sax i play the tenor manly am a aproching it wrong since i play the clrinet? thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,535 Posts
Take a lesson or two with a local pro. Yes its completely different from clarion register clarinet.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Getting a teacher is always the best way to go. But if you are like me, too cheap to hire a teacher, you may want to get a copy of the highly regarded book, "Top-Tones for the Saxophone, Four Octave Range, (3rd Ed.)" by Sigurd M. Rascher. After struggling for, but not reaching any altissimo on my tenor for two years, I started doing the overtone exercises in the book and was able to hit 4th octave B in about two months. I don't know whether this will work for you as well but the book is definitely worth getting whether or not you hire a teacher. Good luck!

·
2,640 Posts
You have to work your overtones everyday if you want to get your altissimo going. You should be able to get up to a Bb4 using the low Bb fingering. You need to stay nice and loose in you embouchure while you do it. Don't squeeze and bite to get the notes out. It all happens with your tongue, soft pallet and throat positions.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Like the others say, top tones book is a must have! also remember to visualise the note you are trying for it really does help, and remember to keep an open throat.

Regarding embouchure, i use a double lip and have no problem at all....

·
3,202 Posts
As said you basically have to get your throat in the right position. It should be open. The overtone series from Bb will be a good start. If you can't get the next note in the series try fingering the note normally (say F2) then while holding it switch to the low Bb fingering. Eventually you will get them without doing this. The book probably explains it better. Have fun, hope you don't have a dog or close neighbors.

·
2,640 Posts
Try playing into your second octave with out using your octave key, even into the palm keys. I can play the whole range of my horn with out the octave key. Its a good work out with real pay offs down the road.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ditto on the Top Tones book... Assuming you have established good control of your horn from bottom Bb to high F#, this is important, the next step that'll bring you closer to getting those high notes is to play overtones. Play a low Bb and without changing your fingering try anf get one of the chord notes out of it... D, F or octave Bb. Some are easier to get than others depending on things like your horn, mpc, embouchure, etc but you'll eventually start to hit one or 2.

Once you do, you gotta get that feeling and position of air/embouchure and then try for a legitimate high note. My first success was the high G. It can be easy because you can roll smoothly off the F#.

Good Luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts