1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Distinguished Member and Forum Contributor 2008
6,395 Posts

·
6,395 Posts
Don't be sorry for asking.

I was just giving a quick history lesson so you wouldn't think "WHAT THE......" when your thread got dragged down an already traveled rocky road.

SG has an interesting history around here if you poke around a bit.

·
Super Moderator
26,299 Posts
Why would I put a cheap gizmo in the neck of a MkVI?

·
6,395 Posts
OK, I'll bite:

Why WOULD you put a cheap gizmo in the neck of your Mk VI?

Tell us Johnnie, tell us!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,268 Posts
Well, perhaps we have to admit that we are experts only in our own minds. ;)

I was going to learn more about the Saxgourmet Neck Enhancer, and found this video on Steve Goodson´s "Nation of Music".

At about 2:00 Steve Goodson start to talk about SOTW, that he call "the saxophone misinformation site" 2:22

ps.
Was there a big difference in sound with and without the Neck Enhancer :?

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
Was there a big difference in sound with and without the Neck Enhancer :?
I can't believe I just watched that video. It sounds like he just played more from his diaphragm in the "after" demo. In the "before" demo he was playing thin and having difficulty getting his horn to speak in parts. Sadly, I'm sure this was done on purpose. It's kind of like asking O.J. to try on the glove.

So I guess you could save the money and just put more air through your horn by pushing from your diaphragm. Thanks, Steve Goodson!

Buck

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
As quoted by acdgraphics (5 months ago) on Steve Goodsons BS:

"the mentioned forum is also rife with sax snobs. I have come to the conclusion that setups, equipment, tastes are all as individual as the physical make up of the player, so why not try one? Heck, I love Plasticovers, but they're supposedly inferior ;-p
Thanks so much!!! Yankee innovation, Love it!
Ava "

Some of what has been said about him and his products, have come from other sax "designers", mouthpiece designers, and the like. I completely forgot about the Unison fiasco (I exchanged some words with him during that time as well) until someone else brought it up.

Every forum has a certain amount of here-say and "mis-information". So, everything should be taken with a grain of salt. But, it's a great place to gather information, learn some tricks, trade and sell gear, and meet like-minded sax players. But, I'm just preachin to the sax choir now!

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017, Distinguished SOTW me
3,426 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Well, perhaps we have to admit that we are experts only in our own minds. ;)

I was going to learn more about the Saxgourmet Neck Enhancer, and found this video on Steve Goodson´s "Nation of Music".

At about 2:00 Steve Goodson start to talk about SOTW, that he call "the saxophone misinformation site" 2:22

:?
"testicular fortitude," I love it! I was afraid he'd whip out his nuts!:shock:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Guys:
This thread should have had posts about if you felt it worked or not, and the whys, the things the enhancer helped or did not help, or made no difference. I just ordered a neck enhancer today. I will share my opinion on the product after I have it. I am excited to have it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Here is my review of the neck enhancer:

1. It makes a slight difference, in a positive way.
2. Low notes speak easily
3. Makes the sound slightly (very slightly) brighter on my DuKoff mouthiece.
4. Gives horns a "free-er" air stream, particularly noticed in the middle range. As a raspy rock and roll sax player, I found I could more easily crack and growl my notes.

Remember, that which is closer to the mouth makes a bigger difference, and this definatally improves the air flow. You can feel the difference. For $50.00, a great price, totally worth it. Improves playing ease.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.