Sax on the Web Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,870 Posts
*READ ME*
1.This thread is not about Steve Goodson, his past present or future. It is not about whether you like him or hate him.

It is about a horn, the Saxgourmet Model 6.

2.This thread is not about where the horn is made, or import issues.

I have long wanted to read an objective discussion of these horns here on the SOTW. I am going to attempt that.

Having said that,
I wanted to let you know that I got my hands on one of these tenors, and I just finished a 30 minute test play.

My impression of how it plays, at this point, is one of sheer awe. I am going to try out the horn this week in two venues and see how it performs.I also hope to A-B-C-D it this week with my main 3 tenors. ALL of these are killers.

I took the chance on it after hearing from Sarge at World Wide Sax how special this horn was. He wasn't exaggerating at all- at least as far as I can tell now.

I will go over the points I feel comfortable stating now. More on the playing of the horn as I get to know it more this week.

Finish
Absolutely perfect. The copper plating shows no imperfections and the color is uniform and simply gorgeous. The plating has a coat of clear laq over it, so cleaning will be easy. The pearls and thumb rest are abalone and flat, not concave. They feel solid without feeling slick. Engraving is plentiful (neck to inner bell) but tasteful. Not overblown, like I tend to order on my customized horns.

Ergos
This horn fits my hand better than any other tenor I have ever held. I suppose it is very VI -like, but the palm and side keys are perfectly placed. I mean perfectly. it comes with one of the SG thumb hooks, which I love and use on two of my other tenors. Left hand thumb rest is large, flat abalone rest. very comfortable too.

C# to D2
Smooooooth. Never experienced this smooth a transition. Wow.

Lower / Upper register
Very TH&C like. Easy to play, sounds both full and intonation seems spot on. I like it.

Power
This horn can take as much as I could give it....at least here at home. I will reserve further comments for after I have taken it to band rehearsal and played it on a gig. Right now...wow.

Sound
As far as I can tell now, I would describe this horn as somewhere between a TH&C and my Medusa. It liked the ballsiness of the sound immediately. Once again, I want to try several genres before I make many comments on the sound.

Build / Weight
The horn seems heavy, exactly as the comments I have already read. The weight is not an issue for me personally. Build seems very sturdy. I will take it to my tech for a good once-over, and get his opinion on it too.

Case
I Hiscox copy, through and through. Only down side is they used zippers instead of latches- this allows a potential north / south movement of the two halves. still, it isn't a bad case. I just don't care for zippered cases.

Interesting point
When I pick up a tenor I usually slide my middle finger of my right hand through the bell to body ring. I cannot do this on this horn. The key rods are in the way.

Initial grade:
A+

I am thinking this is a REAL keeper.

More as I play it.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Wow I am speechless. (Just kidding) :D

You said you "got your hands on one". Did you buy it? If so how much did you pay and where did you get it? Or is it one that someone loaned you to try? Just curious about how I might "get my hands on one".

John

·
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Took the tenor to big band practice tonight.
Here's what I found:

The horn is extremely versatile. I can literally do anything I want, with ease. It can cut for solos, and easily blend in with an all Selmer section.
It has a great voice for soloing...and can easily handle all you can give it and more. I think this horn works fantastically in a more modern music band, but will completely be at home in a traditional big band setting as well.

I feel like the sound just jumps out of the horn, for lack of a better way to describe it.

Key action was incredibly fast without being too light. I was zipping through passages that normally would give me a little trouble with my other horns. I think the ergos of this horn are a big part of the reason it was so easy to play.

As of this moment, I am totally in love with this horn! However, I am parting with it for a few days to send it to Big Hunk for a test toot.

Also, I let a local pro test play it. Now this guy is a fairly good alto player, and I have heard his tenor playing too, and I was far less impressed with his tenor playing. However, he took the horn and played it, ran through the altissimo notes with ease...and was fairly well stunned!:shock: His simple comment was "Incredible!"
He too immediately commented on the weight of the horn.

More as I go along.....

·
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well as for price, I cannot say what you will pay, now.:shock:

Sarge at WWS is selling his stock of Saxgourmet and SG horns below his original price, due to a new model coming out / SG's separation from Orpheus; so you should go there to check with him.

I would say now is the time to buy if you are interested. I love this horn....really I do.

One other thing about the case:
The case is a copy of a Hiscox, but no where near as sturdy. Tonight, at the music store I tried the horn in a Cannonball rectangular case, and it fit just fine.
I have yet to try it in a real Hiscox, a JK aluminum or the ProTec large bell case (all of which I have) but I will do that tomorrow. I tend to think it will fit in them just fine, with the exception maybe, of the Hiscox.

·
Pro Musician and World-class Repair Tech
66 Posts
Randall,
Thanks for posting this review. It's refreshing to read a review on a goodson product that is strictly devoted to the instrument, not the maker. we all know how the majority here at SOTW feel about the maker, but if it's possible for you to get past that, the instrument is another story.
I gotta tell you, i've been playing a saxgourmet model 6, for 8 months now and as i get used to it's capabilities, i realize nothing else even gets close. I'm sure everyone here is reading and waiting for the caveat, but i don't think it will ever come, these are just great horns. Tonally versatile and reliable as any horn ever made, really more reliable than most.
Yes, there is a new model coming... the Super 400. I have mixed emotions about it. it is said to be the best ever, but then that's what Selmer said when they changed over from the mk vi to the mk 7. I will keep an open mind, but i really like these model 6's.
Randall emailed me a while back and expressed his concerns that by selling goodson products, i was tarnishing my own reputation (at sotw anyway) but i sincerely hope that instead, people find that there is someone they can trust when they do want to play on these products. I would not vouch for them, if they weren't truly outstanding. I don't have to sell them, i prefer to.
Kudos Randall!
thanks, sarge

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have been wondering about this horn for over a year now.

I did pick up the SG silver plated Curved Soprano last October and have been pretty impressed with it. The ergos are very good on it as well, which was a big plus, but the build quality isn't top notch. Good for its selling price though.

The tenor that you are reviewing though is supposed to be the top level of his horns. I almost took a chance on the Saxgourmet tenor with Sarge but just couldn't do it without playing it for a few days first. Also being in Canada I would have a biggggg duty to pay.

Keep up the info and experiences on this horn!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Randall;
Thanks for the post. Did this horn have the second octave key?
I tried one and found the second octave key to be a real problem to deal with.
What impression did you get?
I am still a new player, so I may not have the best form yet.
thanks
StanB

·
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is right, the Saxgourmet (which I have now) doesn't have the altissimo key. That key is on the Steve Goodson model.

I understand being skeptical about a horn until you try it. That is why I ended up with this horn, and why I have, over the years bought, sold and traded so many horns. I want to try them myself to really know what they are all about.

I was very curious about the Saxgourmet for a long time, but when Sarge gave it glowing reviews, I knew there was something to it.

Sarge has done a lot of work for me, sold me several horns, and I am fairly certain we have similar tastes in horns. I have found him at all times to be forthright, expert and accurate. I trust his word implicitly.

Having said that, to be completely frank, my experience with this horn so far is better than Sarge's glowing review of it.

Since I am in the first week of playing this horn, I know it will take a little more time to get to know it well, but I can unequivocally say that this is one of the finest tenor horns I have ever played, if not the finest. Still haven't compared it to my other 3 tenors. Hopefully I can do that today before I send this down to Big Hunk for him to try.

And if you are near me in Japan, you are welcome to come over and give it a toot anytime!

More as I compare it.

Maybe we can get BH to chime in in a couple of days after he has played it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
480 Posts
Sounds pretty interesting, Randall.

I don´t know... did you miss the questions voiced by a previous poster:

You said you "got your hands on one". Did you buy it? If so how much did you pay and where did you get it? Or is it one that someone loaned you to try?
I only bring this up because I wondered about some of the same things.
As a matter of fairness, I think a reviewer should be willing to answer relevant questions.... or make some kind of disclaimer.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
36,963 Posts
Gee, you sound a lot like John... Hmmmm...

FWIW, that question was answered in post #5.

·
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a few people on "ignore". This thread will not devolve.

Disclaimer already made at the beginning.

The mods will delete any post that starts the ball rolling in the wrong direction.

And G is right, question has already been answered.

Back to the horn.

·
Registered
313 Posts
FYI: I saw a price on the LA Sax site of $6,150 for the Tenor. Sarge's website says he's offering 20% off of the Model 6's he still has in stock, but I'm not sure what his retail price is. With shipping I'd figure $5K with some pocket change left over.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,391 Posts

·
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It ain't only sweet looking!~;)

1 - 20 of 177 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.