Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to toot the horn, so to speak, of an artist whose canvases are saxophones that not only look cool and unique (at least I think so) but also play well. John Miranda is an artist from South Carolina who takes relatively ordinary saxes and turns them into great playing works of art. He has two "not your ordinary Bundys" up on ebay now, an alto and a tenor:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Unique-Festive-SELMER-BUNDY-ALTO-SAX-with-PRO-TEC-Gig-Bag/183601759192
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-SEL...C-Gig-Bag-in-very-good-condition/183609249512
I first noticed John's work when he listed a Rampone & Cazzanni stencil that I thought was really cool in blue and brass and would have really stood out from all my other R&C stencils. Unfortunately, I got sniped. :(
Then I got it into my head that I needed either an Armstrong 3008A or a King 660. You know, the ones with the rolled tone holes and high F# key. I asked JayeLID if he had any and he immediately sent the link to this 3008A that John had listed on EBay. I wound up buying it for a great price and have been very happy with it.

View attachment 223404 View attachment 223406
View attachment 223410 View attachment 223408

It plays great and it's in immaculate condition. I love it.
John puts a lot of work into these horns between cleaning them up, painting and lacquering them and getting the mechanicals in good playing condition. Here's what he told me about why he does this: "I really don't know why I feel the need to spend the time to "redo" saxophones, but I do enjoy it. It's alot like the feeling I get when I create a piece of art. I have an idea of what I want to do and I develop it as I do it. There's just a bit more mechanics demanded in painting saxophones than painting on canvas."

So if you're looking for a reasonably priced sax that plays well out of the box and looks like absolutely nothing else out there, check out John Miranda's offerings on EBay: "p_a_m37".

Just my opinion as a happy owner.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How do you like the 3008A ???? As a horn-horn ? :)
As a horn-horn I actually like it a lot. The only other sax I've owned with a high F# is my son's Selmer USA AS500, so it's nice to have a little fun exploring the upper end with the F#. When it's dialed in with the right setup it plays very well in tune and, apart from needing a little cork here and there to make certain keys feel more comfortable under the fingers, it's been a good player for the money. I don't think it will replace the Martin Busine I got from Troy Leibsmann or the Oxford I got from you, or even my Beaugnier 37 as my primary alto. But for an "entry level" sax with all the bells and whistles it's much better than I would have expected it to be. It does have a rather vanilla personality though. But, I can greatly color the tone to my liking simply by selecting a mouthpiece that reflects the mood I want to achieve. A PPT Onyxite, for instance, for dark and smooth, a Saxscape Wilton for straight ahead everything, a Keilwerth/Wagner for ultimate flexibility, a Couf Artist for the middle of the road and a Couf Artist Jazz model to scream with. If I want to go with metal I can still maintain full, broad tone color with a Landreth Zephyr or Zia or a Eugene Reglein and not have it sound thin or overly bright.
Sure, that's probably true about any sax. But the 3008A is supposed to be a "beginner's horn," and beginner horns are supposed to sound and play a certain way. Or so we're led to believe. However, this sax feels solid, plays in tune and does everything that I ask of it. That's gotta count for something right?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts