Sax on the Web Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have any idea the worth of one of these horns? its saxello from 1924 white h.n nickel or silver serial
Musical instrument Reed instrument Brass instrument Musician Wind instrument
Drinkware Barware Wind instrument Beer tap Reed instrument
Musical instrument String instrument Plucked string instruments Folk instrument Wood

# 688xx .

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,228 Posts
Play condition or project condition (IOW needing an overhaul) ?

Play condition, meaning it will have been cleaned up nice and shiny and have a repad....professionally, not a DIY garage job...around $3000. I could see a big shop or expensive vintage reseller price it at $4g...

Project condition...meaning it hasn't been played for quite a while, pads are shot, it's grungy....all of which appears to be the case based on those photos....it could fetch $1200-1500 on eFlay.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
It needs a thorough cleaning and setup and those Saxellos are beasts when it comes to regulation etc. I had to re-do mine 3 times until I had it to the point where it played the way I wanted it but make no mistake, normal fingerings don't really work on a Saxello
The pads that I see still look pretty good, the left hand pinky table looks good, too, the right hand pinky keys are the ones that are often bent on those horns and getting the double cup C# configuration to work beats synchronizing 3 double barrel carbs on a hot rod.

@JayeLID gave you good ballpark figures and I might be interested in it "as is" if you want to save yourself the eflay adventure

and FWIW, the saxello is my main go-to soprano

·
SOTW Moderator/Administrator
1,377 Posts
Hello, @flatearthhh ... Per the private message I sent you, please be careful not to turn this into a For Sale ad. Advice on selling is okay. Beyond that, we require all new users accumulate 50 postings on SOTW in order to qualify for buy/sell privileges. And then, ALL buy/sell activity needs to take place in the Classifieds section - which you will eventually be given access too.

Your previous post (about a Mark VI, I think...) was crossing the line in a hurry.

PM me if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Steve
SOTW Admin/Moderator

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,228 Posts
It's funny, I have refurbed a good dozen king Sopranos, including three Saxellos...

...I have always found the intonation reputation to be very overstated.

I mean, perhaps for classical playing where intonation has to have a really narrow variance it wouldn't be a good horn to choose, but quite honestly even me, with a not great Sop embouchure, regularly I have been able to get King Sopranos to intone just fine, within a 10 cents variance certainly.

Just my experiences.

These are highly sought-after horns, as I noted. Even in crap-but-complete-shape, they are.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
It's funny, I have refurbed a good dozen king Sopranos, including three Saxellos...

...I have always found the intonation reputation to be very overstated.

I mean, perhaps for classical playing where intonation has to have a really narrow variance it wouldn't be a good horn to choose, but quite honestly even me, with a not great Sop embouchure, regularly I have been able to get King Sopranos to intone just fine, within a 10 cents variance certainly.

Just my experiences.

These are highly sought-after horns, as I noted. Even in crap-but-complete-shape, they are.
This one looks like somebody took sandpaper to it

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,025 Posts
Looks like the neck has been off at least once. Resoldered poorly and then cosmetically doctored. Unless someone is extremely skilled on refurbishing this exact model. It’s a DIY can of worms from 👹 This one’s been in the backseat a few rounds.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks like the neck has been off at least once. Resoldered poorly and then cosmetically doctored. Unless someone is extremely skilled on refurbishing this exact model. It’s a DIY can of worms from 👹 This one’s been in the backseat a few rounds.
yes . they are getting harder to find the prestine ones

·
5,025 Posts
yes . they are getting harder to find the prestine ones
Be happy if you get $600 for it. That’s at least an $1800 overhaul and you end up with a $2400 cosmetic :poop:. Another $1400 or more will get it replated and engraved. At that point you’re $3800 into a $3800 horn. Sorry guys I don’t see this as a $1000-$1200 value. $600 and maybe half the shipping.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Be happy if you get $600 for it. That’s at least an $1800 overhaul and you end up with a $2400 cosmetic :poop:. Another $1400 or more will get it replated and engraved. At that point you’re $3800 into a $3800 horn. Sorry guys I don’t see this as a $1000-$1200 value. $600 and maybe half the shipping.
its a very excellent player. many hard core sax players go for sound more than looks !! but ya if it looks good then some might give more for it

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
35,441 Posts
its a very excellent player. many hard core sax players go for sound more than looks !! but ya if it looks good then some might give more for it
Let’s hear it.

·
5,025 Posts
its a very excellent player.
Did I miss something? I don’t see a audio file or link posting of you playing it. What mouthpiece does it play best with?

many hard core sax players go for sound more than looks !!
Yep, That’s why they know it’s a $600 horn not $1200. It’s going to take a good $1800 in repairs to get that sound. $600 + $1800= $2400 and there’s a zillion horns in that price range that are better. $1200 + $1800= $3k and zillions and zillions in that price range that are better. Maybe not this model but here’s a spoiler alert. They weren’t produced very long for a reason.
They didn’t sell well.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,749 Posts
snarky ? how do you know every single person on this thread plays? did they send you an audio ? lol
Um... This is a forum for saxophone PLAYERS. 99.9% of us play at some level from beginners thru working professionals and teachers.
I've been an active member since 2007, I know these guys, and now serve as a moderator.
Would you like to continue with the snark?

·
Registered
836 Posts
But how does one know if your example of a horn does play great or not?

You say you want evaluation of the horn, but don't accept evaluations given. Seems to me you already know what it's worth then.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
But how does one know if your example of a horn does play great or not?

You say you want evaluation of the horn, but don't accept evaluations given. Seems to me you already know what it's worth then.
i have gotten only evaluations on looks which is great but in none of the evaluations did they ask if it played great or not.. so im thinking looks is more important to most.. even if i could get an evaluation on it if it sounds great if it doesnt sound great ect . because im sure that is the most important part of any horn. the sound.. playability second and looks lastly . but as you can see its all looks out here .

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.