Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there web sites for sax players to get what is comprable to guitar tabs. I'm 50 and have been playing for over six years. I don't have the ear to listen to a sax solo and figure out what they are playing. Are there websites out there. I've bought lots of books but I've learned the melody, I can't play that when I play with others. Any advice?

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,673 Posts
....Any advice?
Yes, learn to read standard notation. It's not as hard as you think it is.
Any kind of tablature notation for saxophone would be way more complicated than staff notation.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
With all due respect.......LEARN TO READ MUSIC! Believe me, it isn't rocket science. If I can do it, so can you. If you can recite the alphabet from A to G and count from 1 to 4, you're 80% there. Don't make the fatal mistake of refusing to read music. I'll say it again......you've learned 26 letters of the alphabet and how to write, yet you're afraid to use the first 7 letters of that alphabet and incorporate it into reading music? C'mon! Give it a shot. Don't give up and before you know it, you'll be reading simple melodies. I'd advise taking some private lessons, maybe at a local music store. Don't try this on your own. You'll just get frustrated and give up. I see you're in Haverhill. Heck, you're not that far from one of the best players and teachers I know in New England.......our own Steve Neff here on this forum.

Oh, and one other small piece of advice..... It's a MAJOR league pet-peeve of mine and pretty much every other saxophonist out here...... Be sure to spell it saxOphone! :mrgreen:
John

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I wasn't clear with what I was asking. I can read music. But when I buy a book of say Beatle songs, in Bb for my tenor. The music is the melody which is great when I'm playing by myself. But when I play with others I wouldn't be playing the melody. So I need to learn the small filler parts and the solos. I'm lucky to get one hour to practice 5 or 6 times a week. To figure out the solos would never get accomplished.
To Dave Dolson, I apologize for not being able to get your message. Its not that I don't want messages, I just never changed any settings to allow them. I will try to do that now. Thanks to all for responses

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
turn on the radio, and try playing along with anything that comes on, figure out what key it's in, what notes fit etc. don't step on the vocals (they hate that). Get recordings of tunes you will be playing with others, Beatles, whatever etc, and play along, figure out that works. It will help train your ear.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts