Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts
Thank you Saxoholic. Your reviews are some of the best here at SOTW. I remember an excellent alto shootout you did a few years ago on Japanese saxes. Besides the abalone key touches, is the key layout the same on both Barones? I guess the body tube must be different since the tone is different.
Thanks for the kind words. Yes, the key layout is pretty much the same. I didn't notice any major difference between the two horns, besides the abalone key touches and that was purely aesthetic. The body tube is different between the two horns, as is the bell flare, which is slightly larger on the vintage.

@nitro: To over-simplify it, yes, you are correct. I feel the Classic has that "ring" to the sound that you find in the really good VI tenors. An old mentor of mine has a 120,xxx mark VI tenor that I was able to play a few times years ago. That horn was a monster. I wish I could have AB'd those horns against his VI, because it's one of the great ones.

- Saxaholic

i have heard a couple sound clips and recently an alto vid that was pretty good...But for so many horns floating around there has to be someone willing to do some vids...
Ya know I can understand why people would want to see/hear videos and clips but they're not a very good source of how a horn will sound. Everyone sounds different especially when you factor in the different mouthpieces everyone uses. Phil Barone

Ya know I can understand why people would want to see/hear videos and clips but they're not a very good source of how a horn will sound. Everyone sounds different especially when you factor in the different mouthpieces everyone uses. Phil Barone
So true! I've been jumped on for saying this, but sound clips on the internet are next to useless when comparing or evaluating horns. So much depends on the player, the mpc (as Phil points out), the recording medium, your own speakers/headphones, etc. Also, you get no idea how a horn feels and responds for you, which is very important because when it comes right down to it, the tonal differences between most good horns are subtle. Certainly more subtle than the differences from one player to another.

I do think a well-done review, as written in the OP here by saxoholic, can be useful and of value.

Good point Phil...Maybe not the best indicator of how a horn really sounds but definately a good marketing strategy...I would probably buy a horn that I heard/saw some one playing well over one I`ve never heard...even with the good written reviews...

Great review. I wish I had've written it!

I own a UL Barone classic and I can't see any point in selling it in preference to any other horn. It simply plays and sounds great - end of story.

I will however, get me one of them there new fangled finishes on a vintage tenor sometime in the near future. The AU dollar is at parity with the USD and predicted to rise even higher. This is a good time to buy.

Good point Phil...Maybe not the best indicator of how a horn really sounds but definately a good marketing strategy...I would probably buy a horn that I heard/saw some one playing well over one I`ve never heard...even with the good written reviews...
Oh you're absolutly right. I can't tell you how many people ask me for them. It's surprising though how many people think that they are important though. I think I'll work on it. Phil

Oh you're absolutly right. I can't tell you how many people ask me for them. It's surprising though how many people think that they are important though. I think I'll work on it. Phil
I'm no marketing expert but I know that System 54, Saxophone.com, Mauriat, Tenor Madness, Cannonball and Goodson all have demo vids as part of their marketing campaign...I'm sure there are plenty of people who would gladly do some for you and your site...

Great review. I wish I had've written it!

I own a UL Barone classic and I can't see any point in selling it in preference to any other horn. It simply plays and sounds great - end of story.

I will however, get me one of them there new fangled finishes on a vintage tenor sometime in the near future. The AU dollar is at parity with the USD and predicted to rise even higher. This is a good time to buy.
Im with you Martin. No one else knows what that feels like except for those of us from Down Under. its a blessing to have such a strong currency hence I am purchasing another barone as well. My first one cost me I think about AUD $2400 (Does that sound right - September of Last year or earlier ?) and then my Second one about AUD $1800. So my third one will be dollar for dollar ! BONUS

IMO, different means of reviewing are best suited to different aspects of a review, and video plays no part in it.

Assuming you can't have the gold standard of actually playing a prospective instrument in your own hands....

To transmit impressions of build quality, ergonomics, and purchasing experience (including packing quality) detailed text descriptions are best.

To transmit impressions of aesthetics, hi res crisp photos (or link thereto) are the best.

To transmit impressions of TONE, then quality soundclips are best, especially if side-by-side comparisons of a new horn with some kind of reputable standard using the same mouthpiece/reed setup are made. Neff's recordings are very helpful in this regard, so as to assess RELATIVE differences in gear that can point you an a direction. Yes, ultimate tone depends on many factors (including EQ and other effects in a recording), but it is immensely helpful to hear a polished clip that can at least demonstrate that a sax can generate a tone that passes some threshold of pleasantness to ultimately sound professional. Verbal descriptions alone, including gushing praise, are seldom compelling to me unless they come from a poster who I know from quality clips (or first-hand experience as a listener) is a very accomplished player.

Video clips of someone playing horn X typically have substandard audio compared to a well-mixed audio track (in fact they usually sound pretty crappy since some sort of ambient mic is used, and the video isn't integrated with a dedicated recording system), and don't give you the detailed aesthetics of good still photos. Therefore, I am baffled by this demand for a video.

IMO, different means of reviewing are best suited to different aspects of a review, and video plays no part in it.

Assuming you can't have the gold standard of actually playing a prospective instrument in your own hands....

To transmit impressions of build quality, ergonomics, and purchasing experience (including packing quality) detailed text descriptions are best.

To transmit impressions of aesthetics, hi res crisp photos (or link thereto) are the best.

To transmit impressions of TONE, then quality soundclips are best, especially if side-by-side comparisons of a new horn with some kind of reputable standard using the same mouthpiece/reed setup are made. Neff's recordings are very helpful in this regard, so as to assess RELATIVE differences in gear that can point you an a direction. Yes, ultimate tone depends on many factors (including EQ and other effects in a recording), but it is immensely helpful to hear a polished clip that can at least demonstrate that a sax can generate a tone that passes some threshold of pleasantness to ultimately sound professional. Verbal descriptions alone, including gushing praise, are seldom compelling to me unless they come from a poster who I know from quality clips (or first-hand experience as a listener) is a very accomplished player.

Video clips of someone playing horn X typically have substandard audio compared to a well-mixed audio track (in fact they usually sound pretty crappy since some sort of ambient mic is used, and the video isn't integrated with a dedicated recording system), and don't give you the detailed aesthetics of good still photos. Therefore, I am baffled by this demand for a video.
--I totally agree. But, I still like to see videos of horns in action. :) Btw, I checked out your youtube clip...You sound great man!

I'm no marketing expert but I know that System 54, Saxophone.com, Mauriat, Tenor Madness, Cannonball and Goodson all have demo vids as part of their marketing campaign...I'm sure there are plenty of people who would gladly do some for you and your site...
Well I'd love to hear from them. Phil Barone

Marketing is a whole different animal. What I said about soundclips vs a good solid honest review, like the OP on this thread, was for those on this site who are seriously looking for a good horn. But yeah, to market something well you have to go the extra mile and hype it up with glossy photos, good sound clips, and everything else you can think of. I see that as a completely separate topic to honest evaluation of a horn.

Steve Goodson had a video clip marketing thing on one of his horns with several different players. As I recall, the first guy up was a great player and guess what, the horn sounded fantastic! A couple of the other players weren't as good and in those cases the horn didn't sound so good and if it weren't for the great player, the video would have been a bust. Moral of the story, if you want to market a horn with a video clip, get a great player to play it! Simple as that.

I'm sure Charles Neville could do it for him, he now uses the Barone.

I've played some of the P. Mauriat 66R tenors (not enough to write a review on, just initial impressions, take that for what it's worth), but I immediately felt more at home on this horn and definitely felt this horn had a much more "authentic" vintage sound than any other model tenor I've tried.
initial impressions are OK and I'm a fan of video and sound clips as well
but I think it's important to take the horn to a variety of gig settings-not just a room- before deciding whether or not it's a 'heavy hitter'

initial impressions are OK and I'm a fan of video and sound clips as well
but I think it's important to take the horn to a variety of gig settings-not just a room- before deciding whether or not it's a 'heavy hitter'
Agreed, which is why I said "not enough to write a review on, just initial impressions, take that for what it's worth" in the middle. That being said, my initial impressions on the Barone were much more positive. Perhaps the Mauriat would have "grown" on me, but the Barone has impressed me everyday since I've had it.

- Saxaholic

Im with you Martin. No one else knows what that feels like except for those of us from Down Under. its a blessing to have such a strong currency hence I am purchasing another barone as well. My first one cost me I think about AUD $2400 (Does that sound right - September of Last year or earlier ?) and then my Second one about AUD $1800. So my third one will be dollar for dollar ! BONUS
Damn straight broheim

It may even be more than dollar for dollar very soon.

Damn straight broheim

It may even be more than dollar for dollar very soon.
Does anyone know how the Euro is? I'd be curious to know the value of the Euro. I understand that France went back to the Franc, is that true? And I believe England never went with the Euro, is that right? Phil

21 - 40 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.