Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone is familiar with this project. Karel of Adolphe Sax & cie has been collecting artillery shells to make saxophones from.

No, I don't believe it's got anything to with the myth about Selmer sounding better because they used cartridge shells, this is more a concept about peace, swords to ploughshares

I visited his workshop a couple of years ago and he mentioned the idea to me then, I didn't realise he is now getting very close to realising this. BTW, his current saxophones are great, among the best I've ever played. There was one there in his display I wanted to buy but it was one he didn't want to let go of...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,795 Posts
To me, it's a mistake to associate a fine instrument with some cause or another. Military shell casings of brass are probably not the best brass for a sax. Any alleged benefit from firing the shell in a cannon would be lost when it was melted down anyway. In other words I would judge any such horn based on its performance and attributes without regard to the 'story'.

·
29,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any alleged benefit from firing the shell in a cannon would be lost when it was melted down anyway. In other words I would judge any such horn based on its performance and attributes without regard to the 'story'.
Well, I doubt anyone would believe there is any benefit from firing a shell in a cannon. I also doubt anyone would actually be buying this instrument expecting its performance to be better because of the story. I don't think that is the point at all.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
saxophone, flutes and lil' bit of clarinet
7,275 Posts
This is all new to me. So someone bought the “Sax” name and is making new saxophones? Is it any relation to Selmer design or a completely new thing?

·
29,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is all new to me. So someone bought the “Sax” name and is making new saxophones? Is it any relation to Selmer design or a completely new thing?
Nothing to do with Selmer, this is a Belgian company who own the trademark and are working towards a totally Belgian made saxophone. The sax4pax is just a part of it, their normal line of instruments has been around for a while, I've mention wed them a few times as I was very impressed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
saxophone, flutes and lil' bit of clarinet
7,275 Posts
That's very interesting Pete. I would love to see a new saxophone made in Belgium.

·
Registered
63 Posts
That is extremely cool! Hope somebody on here is going to get there hands on one and review it. I bet you get a lot of bang for your buck....ha...ha...ha....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,795 Posts
Well, I doubt anyone would believe there is any benefit from firing a shell in a cannon. I also doubt anyone would actually be buying this instrument expecting its performance to be better because of the story. I don't think that is the point at all.
In reference to the old Selmer/cannon shell rumor, the thinking probably was that the shells would have been work-hardened by firing, which is true, but again, if that were a benefit, it would be lost when the shells were smelted to make sheet brass. I know what the point is, and its silly. Not to mention improbable in execution.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Military shell casings of brass are probably not the best brass for a sax. Any alleged benefit from firing the shell in a cannon would be lost when it was melted down anyway.
It is perfect brass (did analysis of the shell casings) and I have not suggested any benefits from firing it, so there is even no "alleged" :)
Happy to hear you would judge the horn based on performance. I would do that too. Yet my goal is to make more than just a good performing saxophone.

I wasn't inspired by any (debunked) myth that 5# MKVI came from shell casings. Just got inspired by an Old-Testament/Tenach passage and that was it.

Past months I set up a collection campaign in Belgium to gather the needed artillery shells. Next step: bring the shells to a specialized factory in The Netherlands to recycle and turn it into new sheet metal.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,409 Posts
Killer horns-no doubt. Seriously though it's a damn good idea plus the fact military grade brass is good stuff.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I get it, cool idea. I'm too cost-conscience, and sympathetic to all great used vintage horns out their waiting to be restored, and sing again. But I salute those who want to carry an ironic symbol of peace.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts