Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
SOTW Interviews/Editor, Distinguished SOTW Member,
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which brand and model of sax has the "best" intonation, ergonomics, etc.?

World Wide Sax has posted a chart comparing Mark VI, SBAs, Buffets, Conns, Bueschers, Martins, King, Keilwerths, Couf, and SMLs (Sarge's order).
http://www.worldwidesax.com/saxophone_comparison_chart.htm

I checked through the Forum and can't see that this has been posted before. If I missed it, my apologies.

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
Sarge points out that results vary from player to player. My experience is that the Buffet S-1 does have the best intonation and ergo's but mine had a cut off point as far as sound and air movement. When the horn was pushed, it started giving up and almost cowering.
I also wouldn't call the mark VI a swiss army knife, and I wouldn't rank the VI above the SBA or the BA for that matter.
The buescher horns have great intonation and the TH&C tenors are filthy harlets and in my opinion, the best rock horn out there.
Out of all the horns sarge listed in this article, the SML is the real sleeper and they are also hit and miss. I have a reynolds contempora that just kills everything else I have played.

As a technician (hack) I can tell you that the horns listed are like anything else, some are great and some are dogs. I have played mark VI's that played 15 cents flat or sharp and played a king saxello that was dead on. The advise I gave is to play everything and decide for yourself what horn is best for you. Don't worry about brand and model either. In short (too late) rankings are pointless. Find a horn that plays great and is easy to get around on and you'll be happy.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,309 Posts
While I agree with several of the chart rankings, it's still just someones opinion, no more no less.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts