Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was startled by a headline in the local paper the other day about a sax being stolen - never saw anything like that before. Turns out a band was working at a prominent city museum event facility and one of the catering staff swiped a '$5000 saxophone' from the stage. Right away I'm thinking 'MK VI' but it really could have been any premium sax. Anyway, thanks to fast and proactive action by the owner and the police, the crook was I.D.'d, arrested, the horn was found at a pawn shop where he had hocked it for $300 and returned to the owner.
This was an eye opener to me - this is the kind of venue where you feel not so edgy about leaving the horns on the stage while you get something to eat before the show or at break time. Now you can't even trust the wait staff at a prestigious event. Personally I think the crook had to know something about saxes - usually they will grab a guitar or a couple of microphones before they will an old-looking horn.
Whatever, I will certainly be more aware. Never had one stolen but I definitely have been a little too careless in the past, especially at the nicer functions. This just reminds us that it is rarely the 'people' at a gig who might steal something, its the staff/caterers, etc., which are largely 'off the street', especially in today's low unemployment scene where its hard to get decent people at these low wages.

·
Registered
8,026 Posts
Once you’ve had a sax stolen you get a lot more cautious.
It sounds like one of those gigs where you’re just set up in corner with no stage. In those circumstances you have the gamut of stuff that can go wrong. Somebody falling into your sax, tripping over mic cables, falling into you drunk on high heels (the most common, I’ve found) and the one that always gets me, patron walks through the band as a shortcut.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I was startled by a headline in the local paper the other day about a sax being stolen - never saw anything like that before. Turns out a band was working at a prominent city museum event facility and one of the catering staff swiped a '$5000 saxophone' from the stage. Right away I'm thinking 'MK VI' but it really could have been any premium sax.

... Personally I think the crook had to know something about saxes - usually they will grab a guitar or a couple of microphones before they will an old-looking horn ...
I saw this too, but the article I read included the detail that the saxophone was a Selmer SA80 Series II, so it might have looked shiny and new.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,903 Posts
I was startled by a headline in the local paper the other day about a sax being stolen - never saw anything like that before. Turns out a band was working at a prominent city museum event facility and one of the catering staff swiped a '$5000 saxophone' from the stage. Right away I'm thinking 'MK VI' but it really could have been any premium sax. Anyway, thanks to fast and proactive action by the owner and the police, the crook was I.D.'d, arrested, the horn was found at a pawn shop where he had hocked it for $300 and returned to the owner.
I had my MKVI stolen by a barman. All I had to do was tell the club owner I was calling the police and as he didn't want police in his club he got bouncers to to do a "search." Junky barman had my MKVI hidden away. I got MKVI back, he got sacked.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
I had my MKVI stolen by a barman. All I had to do was tell the club owner I was calling the police and as he didn't want police in his club he got bouncers to to do a "search." Junky barman had my MKVI hidden away. I got MKVI back, he got sacked.
I read the first line quickly. I thought it said "I had my MKVI stolen by Batman". Had to read it twice.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,903 Posts
I read the first line quickly. I thought it said "I had my MKVI stolen by Batman". Had to read it twice.
Sorry typo, it was stolen by batman (and his accomplice, the little feller got clean away though)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
1,324 Posts
My first tenor sax (a Conn 10M) was stolen in my high school senior year from the instrument lockers backstage. I found out several years later that the guy (a big, mean & nasty guy) who stole it had bragged about it to friends, and threatened them with physical violence if they said anything. As karma would have it, he overdosed at the age of 19, so I'm guessing he sold it for drug money.

Don't know what happened to the horn, but there was a 50's era metal Otto Link 9 in the case. It would be interesting to see what that would be worth today.

·
7,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought about that when posting and wondered if any of you reprobates would get that. :)

·
7,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thing is, I don't know anybody around here playing a Series II. Must have been from out of town.

·
7,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Found out who it was but I don't know him personally. They are local, and are making big waves and getting national attention with an 8-piece combo/front man doing Sinatra schtick - and they are excellent. The 3 horns are beautifully arranged to sound bigger than they are and they all play the big band/jump boogie style very well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts