Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok newbie question here,

I want to find a sax tech and have them examine my horns.
What do I discuss/ask the tech?
How do you know if a sax tech is good?

What do you expect to pay for a leak check/adjustment and basic set up?

I'm mostly in the dark on this..

Is there a good way to find an affordable sax tech locally?

Is all sax tech work super expensive? ($$$-$$$$)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Forewarned is forearmed. Get this book, read it from cover to cover, and you'll be armed with a basic subset of tech knowledge that will allow you to filter out any BS from any inferior tech. Read the author's website too - shwoodwind.co.uk

http://www.amazon.com/Saxophone-Manual-Choosing-Setting-Maintaining/dp/1844256383

Where did you buy them? If from a dealership, do they have any techs?

A swift google returned this thread on this site - have you done a forum search, for this subject is likely to have come up before ...?

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?51237-Sax-Repair-Pros-in-North-NJ

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did find that thread previously.
I was reading that thread and as I checked out the sites for most of those techs, the prices are astronomical.

I was hoping to be able to get a basic set up and look over with out spending G's.

I'll keep digging, no real leads or much help yet.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,143 Posts
What do I discuss/ask the tech?

How do you know if a sax tech is good?

What do you expect to pay for a leak check/adjustment and basic set up?

Is all sax tech work super expensive? ($$$-$$$$)
I'll take each question in turn:

1) Ask him to put your horn in good playing condition.

2) You can check on his reputation; maybe even on this site there will be someone from your area who can make a recommendation.

3) You won't have to pay anything for a check on the horn's condition and an assessment of what needs to be done. You will have to pay for any actual work, ranging from a few dollars for a minor adjustment or one pad change, up to several hundred or more for a total overhaul.

4) No not all work is super expensive. It depends on what needs to be done (see above). However, a really good tech will charge what he is worth. And, imo, it's better to pay a bit more and get it done right the first time, than pay less and have to then go elsewhere and pay more to get it done.

Bottom line, if you want to play the sax, it's well worth it to have the horn in top condition.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,143 Posts
I was hoping to be able to get a basic set up and look over with out spending G's.
What do you mean by a 'basic set up?' The horn either plays well or it doesn't. If the horn doesn't need a total overhaul, you will be fine with getting any leaks fixed, pads changed where necessary, etc. And that will vary depending.... If the horn does need a complete pad job and overhaul, nothing short of that will really do the job, based on my own experience with this issue.

Hope that is helpful. I'll try to give you a good lead. You live in NJ, so I'd bet there are some good techs around. Ask the specific question here: Anyone here know any good techs in NJ? Or ask your teacher, if you have one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts