Sax on the Web Forum banner
61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own 2 sax oboes- a wooden and a metal one.On the wooden one I have to cut off a half inch from the oboe Reed to bring the pitch up.I had an oboe mouthpiece...it was horrible.On some of the fingering of both oboes you have to open other keys up or use alternate fingerings to correct the pitch.I wish that the companies would have continued to improve the sax oboe in the following decades with modern technology .I have several regular oboes including automatic octave ones.With the sax oboe I can fly over the keys with blistering speed like a soprano sax from low Bb to high F.My main instruments are clarinet,sax and flute...I am looking at the oboe as a doubling instrument.only.Yes, regular oboists will look down on you as a joke but who cares!The real problem as with a regular oboe are reeds.

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
It seems to me that if you just want a somewhat oboe-like sound (like, the amateur concert band needs a second oboe and no one's available, for non-challenging literature) without having to master a new set of fingerings you could use a C soprano.

I agree that actually learning the standard instrument is going to be needed to perform at a high level.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,122 Posts
I own 2 sax oboes- a wooden and a metal one.On the wooden one I have to cut off a half inch from the oboe Reed to bring the pitch up.I had an oboe mouthpiece...it was horrible.On some of the fingering of both oboes you have to open other keys up or use alternate fingerings to correct the pitch.I wish that the companies would have continued to improve the sax oboe in the following decades with modern technology .I have several regular oboes including automatic octave ones.With the sax oboe I can fly over the keys with blistering speed like a soprano sax from low Bb to high F.My main instruments are clarinet,sax and flute...I am looking at the oboe as a doubling instrument.only.Yes, regular oboists will look down on you as a joke but who cares!The real problem as with a regular oboe are reeds.
They sound interesting. Can you tell us more about these two instruments (e.g. make, date, markings) and maybe share some pictures ?

Rhys

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,890 Posts
I own 2 sax oboes- a wooden and a metal one.On the wooden one I have to cut off a half inch from the oboe Reed to bring the pitch up.I had an oboe mouthpiece...it was horrible....

I have never seen a Sax oboe in the flesh but, I wonder, If they all have these single reed mouthpieces. It would be nice to hear what they sound like.

https://collections.ed.ac.uk/stcecilias/record/96103

This is a ordinary oboe with single reed mouthpiece.

this video in English Japanese

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I played a friend’s Loree sax system oboe, and I’m sorry, but if you want to play the oboe learn the conservatory system. The sax system is just not a real oboe in too many ways, if you’re going to deal with the double reed it’s not that hard to learn the correct fingerings as well. Just like flute doublers that try to use sax fingerings on the flute, learn the correct fingerings or don’t play it!

61 - 67 of 67 Posts