Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
I once had a simple system oboe - The fingering was so near to the sax it only took half-an-hour to figure it out and I played it on a jazz gig only a day later. But of course, that's nothing like a full conservatoire system.

·
Registered
218 Posts
hakukani said:
Danke

I want one. I also want a Rackett and a set of Uilleann pipes.:)
I had a rackett once - The volume level is so low it's useless.
I think it's a TUBAX you need !

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm afraid I still stick by my original opinion! I would just feel too stupid sitting enxt to an oboist with a sax fingered oboe, I get far more respect from playing the same instrument (loree in my case) as the other players. That is not say that I don't enjoy the fact that it is easier for sax players to pick up the fingerings of instruments like flute and oboe. We should use this to our advantage, but recognise that they are different instruments!!!
rant over :)
I agree - Knowing the sax fingering doesn't place you at any disadvantage in learning the oboe fingering, or any other fingering come to that. In fact it's probably an advantage if anything.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It would go part way to alleviating some of the discrepancies if you were to swap around the RH pinkie Eb and C keys - If I remember correctly they are the opposite way around on the oboe, to the sax. It wouldn't be a great technical challenge to change them so they match, probably an instrument technician could manage that with no problem. When I blew oboe for a while as a 2nd instrument (after the sax) I was forever playing the wrong note with those keys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts