Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Old King Log
801 Posts
Not unless you play it off center with a full head of hair...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Old King Log
801 Posts
What tradition has going for it is inertia. Once something is established, with a set of vendors ready to turn out an item that requires some specific tooling to produce, then what's in the market place tends to hold forth and displace everything else. In a way, this is much like evolution, although instead of "natural selection" you have an "unnatural" selection that is foisted by teachers, students and national academies.

Recall that the six key clarinet had a very hard row to hoe when Müller presented it to the governing body. They ranted that it was too complicated and all of that. With that attitude, who knows what they would have said about the modern 17/6 key arrangement.

The same "mafia" that perpetuates the Buffet horn as the be all and end all of clarinets effectively works against any sort of improvement in the instrument. Despite such things as adjustable thumbrests and left hand Eb levers having been invented back in the 1800's, they are now only "common" on the instrument.

I've given up trying to enlighten others as to how much more facile the little finger problems are with that one extra key, much less the articulated G# key. Let everyone else be chained by "tradition" - I'm happy that my road to music has been made eaiser.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts