Sax on the Web Forum banner

Sax stands and bifocals...

4K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  newlifesax 
#1 · (Edited)
A number of my pickup bands are considering getting stands. But many of us are into the bifocal glasses stage of our life. I'd like some recommendations. Here is the thread from my bands so far:

Adding Suzy the nurse and ergo expert, Scott who plays with DoctorfunK and Neil and Ray the experienced ones to the thread.

/opinion alert
Most of our players can't read music at their knees. If you look at some these pictures, the musicians are hunched over to read the chart, not pretty at all. And if we want more people to learn to solo, once you stand, there is no way we can see the changes. :(
/end opinion

Scott once told me that it took him six months or so to memorize the DoctorfunK book. I think he was playing much more than we do by a factor of four. Our book will potentially have three times the number of charts as the DoctorfunK book. Ray is working on puttin' together the Inspektor Gadget (place holder name) group which will travel extensively. I'm guessing that like the Crickets, the Dissonance, these kind of groups will be standing, just like DoctorfunK does. I'd luv to hear what he has in mind.

The sax section also likes what Cam does having us stand during some of the soli's. So we are in a quandary here. Maybe some of the co-opted experts on the Cc line can weigh in with some considerations

Cheers,

--------------
Fm: Gary
Subject: Band Stand options

Some information on big band stands.

I have mixed emotions about these. On the pro side, Done right they look very classy and old school big band. The look uniform and they let the band be seen.

On the flip side. Ah we're not getting any younger and our eyes are not getting any stronger. I'd hate to buy a bunch of these to find out that half the band can't see their music. Doug was telling me just last night how his new bifocals were causing problems on stage.

Jim/Arwen, The saxes will be the main victims, How are your cats gonna react to these? Have you ever had to read the music when it's at your knees?

That said here's the poop

Here is the information on Big Band stands.
http://www.embeeideas.com/
Prices for the stands not including graphics etc. POLY BAND STAND PRICES
  • 24" Poly Band Stand $35.00 ea
  • 32" Poly Band Stand $40.00 ea
  • 40" Poly Band Stand $45.00 ea[/FONT]
CASES
24" Soft Case (Padded) (Holds 8) $100.00 ea
32" Soft Case (Padded) (Holds 8) $110.00 ea
40" Soft Case (Padded) (Holds 8) $120.00 ea
24" Econo-Case (Un-Padded) (Holds 5) $48.00 ea
32" Econo-Case (Un-Padded) (Holds 5) $50.00 ea
40" Econo-Case (Un-Padded) (Holds 5) $52.00 ea

ESTIMATED GRAPHIC PRICES
Full Front Printed Graphic $30.00 ea
32" Full Front Printed Graphic $35.00 ea
40" Full Front Printed Graphic $40.00 ea[/FONT][/SIZE]

Not sure if "ea" means per stand or per graphic? Gosh I hope that's not per stand, that raises the price considerably.

Other options

http://www.musictreasures.com/Equipment/Band-Stands/25380.html"]Very cool, especially with different colored lights… Needs no logo http://www.musictreasures.com/Equipment/Band-Stands/25386.html"]
Used by the band I was in back in the day. $$$, heavy but very cool, but also heavy and high maitenancehttp://www.musictreasures.com/Equipment/Band-Stands/25391.html - see the second navy band photo or

Lots of options athttp://www.musictreasures.com/Equipment/Band-Stands

See less See more
#2 ·
Music glasses. That's my answer. I wear bifocals and HATE (OK, that was strong, how 'bout "intensely dislike"?) music stands at my knees. It only gets worse when you have to stand up to play and look at your level. Deduct 5 more points when doubling.

Anyhow, I asked my optometrist to make a third prescription at my preferred focal length for reading music. I have my bifocals for normal wear and don music glasses for those occasions. Kinda like wearing special shoes for a jazz gig, I like to get special frames for my music glasses to help "set my mood" and "focus" on my music.

#3 · (Edited)
#4 ·
Timely advice, Dr. I had just made an appointment with my optometrist to have some "music glasses" made. My visual sweet spot seems to be getting smaller and smaller but "music glasses" seemed like a great way to go. I'm going to need a holster to carry around all my different pairs of glasses.

#5 ·
I'm at that time of life too. I tend to memorize more and more.

I also have several pairs of glasses. I have reading glasses, computer glasses, and music reading glasses.

The tops of my bifocals are clear glass.:)

#6 ·
I find varifocals are a great help for playing, computers etc, although I don't play band, so am not constantly standing & sitting.
I think it's very important to have your sheet music well-lit, as that increases your visual depth of field.

It does look a bit silly when the sax section of our local big band stands for a solo, then 'hunches forward' to be able to read the knee-level dots ;)

#8 ·
Old age is not all it was cracked up to be................:shock:

Our band leader recently went to the short "big band stand" for the sax section. I'd already shifted to the music glasses option. It's gonna be a booger when he finally decides the sax section should stand for the soli parts

I repeat, old age is not all it was cracked up to be!!

NewLifeSax

#9 ·
I went to walmart with a piece of sheet music to test glasses, then bought a pair just for gigs for under $15. That was about three or four years ago and they're still not all scratched up.

Changes? What changes? We don't need no stinking changes. :)

You may have to squint a little when reading changes while standing. It's no biggie, you blow better when you know and don't have to read the changes anyhow.

#10 ·
jazzbluescat said:
I went to walmart with a piece of sheet music to test glasses, then bought a pair just for gigs for under $15. That was about three or four years ago and they're still not all scratched up.
Not enough gigs?:D;)

#14 ·
newlifesax said:
Old age is not all it was cracked up to be................:shock:

Our band leader recently went to the short "big band stand" for the sax section. I'd already shifted to the music glasses option. It's gonna be a booger when he finally decides the sax section should stand for the soli parts

I repeat, old age is not all it was cracked up to be!!

NewLifeSax
I just found this thread, and although it's kinda stale I couldn't help but wonder what this post was referring to when you mentioned standing up for the soli parts... is the problem that the music glasses are in focus sitting down at the short stands but not when standing up, or are you truly bemoaning the fact that maybe some of us are at an age that by the time we get to the standing position the soli part is already over with and it's time to sit down again... :D

#16 ·
BarrySachs said:
Once you're old enough to know how to play this music, you can't see it anymore!
<Dusting off butt after falling off chair laughing>

I've finally purchased some music reading glass with a focal length (if that's the right terminology) set to 30 inches. Our new stands will be shells for a normal heavy-duty music stand with some of us setting them higher than others. Methinks it's the best we can do at this time.

#17 ·
I've had "music glasses" for many years now, since before they were commonly called "computer glasses." Usually they are your trifocal prescription. Mine were always focused at where the charts are on a piano, which is about where my fingertips are when I extend my hand in front of me.

The soli thing is a problem. The ghost bands I play in have sections with players of all ages, and some of the leaders insist that they stand for solis as was traditional in the old days. Just watch any Lawrence Welk rerun on Saturdays. Ghost band oldtimers just have to memorize the solis, not usually a problem since they've been playing them for decades.

#19 ·
I absolutely hate those stands. If it's an option, I'd say don't get them. It's nice to see the band logo and everything but being able to actually see and read the music is more important.
I would agree, unless you can splurge for the 40" Embee stands. Those work pretty well, even if you don't have great eyesight. For those of us over 6 feet tall and with ever weakening eyes, it can still be hard to stand for a soli section and see the chart.

One solution I have used in several bands is the homemade posterboard stand cover, which is basically 2 equally sized pieces of heavy duty poster board; one side with the band logo professionally printed on it (and draped over the stand so it hangs in front, visible to the audience) and then use book binding tape to connect the top edge. You leave a 4 inch gap in the binding tape in the center to allow for stand center spines to slide through. the back side of the cover gives you a solid back for your sheet music while on the stand. If you can adjust your stand heights to a uniform height that everyone can see their music from, it really looks quite nice.

Although in this pic we didn't line them up, you can see how they look if you visit my Myspace page and look at the Salsa band pix. remember to look at the stands instead of the girls;) .

#20 ·
jrvinson45 said:
I just found this thread, and although it's kinda stale I couldn't help but wonder what this post was referring to when you mentioned standing up for the soli parts... is the problem that the music glasses are in focus sitting down at the short stands but not when standing up, or are you truly bemoaning the fact that maybe some of us are at an age that by the time we get to the standing position the soli part is already over with and it's time to sit down again... :D
My first thought was strictly about focal points...but I am now seeing a whole new point thru a fresher set of eyes...pun intended! :dazed:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.