Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am referring to the black squishy foam tubing that most companies use to pad their sax stands. I am not looking for pipe insulation or typical "home depot" type fixes..

I have a friend who asked me if I knew of a source for the EXACT stuff they use on sax stands. I have no clue where to find it - Do any of you?

Thanks,
Charlie

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,323 Posts
you could try your local Loew's or Home Depot for that and also try any supply house for HVAC and electricians also for that.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,597 Posts
I had thought about using the clear air tubing hardware stores carry. You can probably find a close match to the original foam's diameter and end up with a more durable replacement.

·
1,127 Posts
Have you tried just contacting one of the makers or distributors yet?

That's most likely your best bet.

I've looked everywhere a person can locally and have yet to find any such foam. Obviously Home Depot/Lowes and other hardware stores have been a bust. I even took a sample into a store for contractors and they came up empty (and they had large sections devoted to plumbing and heat/a/c).

The only thing I've found that has come close is a much larger diameter foam tube used to insulate pipes coming from exterior A/C units. If I run into the heat a/c guy in the near future, I'll try to see if he has the stuff in a smaller diameter.

I too would love to find a source for it...I prefer it over all the other options available, and I've been waiting to build a stand that has room for more than just two saxes.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,461 Posts
As an owner of several silver saxophones... I worry about sulfur being in the foam which would rapidly tarnish the silver.

·
Registered
439 Posts
The foam insulation for HVAC lines (3/8"wall) seems to work for people.
I personally subscribe to the washcloth-heald-to-the-stand-by-duct tape method!

·
2,596 Posts
Cutting up an old wetsuit (neoprene, often with a nylon covering) would cover a lot of stands. You can glue it on. I use part of an old yoga mat for extra padding inside one of my cases.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts