Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd post some of my recent work here for you guys to see, with more at saxspy.com and instagram.com/saxspy . I make custom End Plugs out of all kinds of materials and custom fit to horn and case. Some of my favorite orders have been for Chris Potter (Tigerwood), Ed Calle (Tigerwood, Paduk, Rosewood), and Danny Janklow (Macassar Ebony with glow). They range from $65 -150, with exceptional rare pieces beyond that. 8 standard styles, including inlays of lapis lazuli, turquoise, brass, copper, glow, etc.

20190331_112033 (1).jpg 20190403_154424.jpg 20190412_124403.jpg

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
Nice but it would be nice to quote some prices since you are the seller

Registered
I went to his website, not that difficult, and seems to start at around 65$ up to 250$, depending on the work it takes.

Some incredible pieces, very good art work

I am not saying that it is difficult I am just saying that since one presents products may as well quote the prices .

Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
Considering the end plug essentially never leaves the case, perhaps all that beauty is wasted. I'll take the original plastic one that's lighter, never rots and can be replaced for $20 or less.

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
They're pretty, but I'm kinda hard on gear. Before I started playing S20's with the metal plugs, I painted the black plastic ones Day-Glo orange. I got real tired of looking under tables and chairs for the one I dropped in the dark...those damn things even get lost in the case...

The metal ones I have now make a satisfying bell chime as they bounce off the floor.... :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you have a chance to see the one that glows blue in the dark? That one would be hard to lose!

Thank you for the feedback. They range from $65 -$150, with $250 being an exceptionally rare piece from the Shawshank Redemption tree. They are custom fit to your dimensions as well!

The way I see it, you see a beautiful piece of art every time you play. I hope they inspire you to create beautiful music.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Considering the end plug essentially never leaves the case, perhaps all that beauty is wasted. I'll take the original plastic one that's lighter, never rots and can be replaced for $20 or less.
That's certainly fine. That's mostly a practical view. I like to surround myself with art and enjoy things beyond function, as very little is handmade in the USA anymore in the music industry.

I think that there is a very good scope to have objects of beauty even if their function could be performed by purely functional objects.

I do own a blackwood endplug which I don鈥檛 really use because My horn , a King Super 20, by its design doesn鈥檛 need the endplug to protecjt the octave key sprocket and because I keep a padsaver (which has a rubber finial) in the horn if I don鈥檛 use the horn or its neck while on a stand.

But endplugs are objects of beauty, like rollers or pearl touches on a horn. They have a function and they also look nice.

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
That's certainly fine. That's mostly a practical view. I like to surround myself with art and enjoy things beyond function, as very little is handmade in the USA anymore in the music industry.
Please be aware of the enormous rise in the population of guitar builders in the last several decades - especially in the USA.

We, as saxophone players, are also blessed by the number of craftspeople that have committed to making mouthpieces - again, predominantly in USA.

Registered
I'm a bit confused as to what value a fancy, expensive end plug adds to a sax when the function is to provide protection to the octave mechanism and receiver when in a closed saxophone case. No one sees it when you are gigging. Do you wear it around your neck as fancy jewelry? What am I missing here?

Registered
I'm a bit confused as to what value a fancy, expensive end plug adds to a sax when the function is to provide protection to the octave mechanism and receiver when in a closed saxophone case. No one sees it when you are gigging. Do you wear it around your neck as fancy jewelry? What am I missing here?
You'll see it every time you play your horn :) I think they're beautiful and I want one.

Registered
Selmer Balanced Action Tenor Saxophone, Powell Flute
I have one and highly recommend Sax Spy end plugs. Mine is gorgeous and I will be purchasing another in the future.

I can understand that they may not be for everyone, but it is truly a piece of art.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Registered
You'll see it every time you play your horn :) I think they're beautiful and I want one.
No, rather I'll see it BEFORE I play the horn and wonder why I spent all that money on it. The plug get's pulled out, thrown in the case and the case is closed and put out of the way. It spends it's life in the case. If you want one, go for it. I'd rather buy an expensive item (like a mouthpiece) that benefits me when I am playing the horn.

Registered
Please be aware of the enormous rise in the population of guitar builders in the last several decades - especially in the USA.

We, as saxophone players, are also blessed by the number of craftspeople that have committed to making mouthpieces - again, predominantly in USA.
Not sure on the guitar stuff, as I'm definitely not familiar, but I would consider very few mouthpieces to be hand made now a days. there are a couple I can think of that are still cast or molded and completely hand done, but most everything is CNC produced and then "hand finished". That hand finishing can range from 20 minutes to an hour in most cases. There are exceptions.

Not saying they can't play really really well or be great pieces, but the process I know about these end plugs is that everything is hand done even the stock that he uses is purchased from a guild of artists that produce these.

I definitely see this as more of a form of art than most mouhpiece makers now a days. Again, there are exceptions to what I'm saying. I just believe truly hand made things in the sax world are more rare.

Registered
No, rather I'll see it BEFORE I play the horn and wonder why I spent all that money on it. The plug get's pulled out, thrown in the case and the case is closed and put out of the way. It spends it's life in the case. If you want one, go for it. I'd rather buy an expensive item (like a mouthpiece) that benefits me when I am playing the horn.
Well, you'll still see it every time you play your horn. I didn't say you see it all the time while playing your horn, you're just being silly.

You shouldn't think I'm arguing that you should get one - I just said they're beautiful, and I've just ordered one now. I guess maybe you don't really appreciate art in general? That's of course fine.

Registered
Definitely debatable as to whether an expensive mouthpiece will help you when playing the horn. I was playing the other day with a guy playing on a Rico Metalite and he was killing it. That's essentially a $20 mouthpiece.

My point is, you may not see value in it, and others may not see value in the mouthpiece.

The saxspy end plug I own, makes me smile, everytime I open my case and I appreciate that it's with my horn.

Registered
Definitely debatable as to whether an expensive mouthpiece will help you when playing the horn. I was playing the other day with a guy playing on a Rico Metalite and he was killing it. That's essentially a $20 mouthpiece.

My point is, you may not see value in it, and others may not see value in the mouthpiece.

The saxspy end plug I own, makes me smile, everytime I open my case and I appreciate that it's with my horn.

I didn't say that a mouthpiece has to be expensive to work. I'm not going to debate that as I have used the inexpensive ones also. If you have money to spend on an item (trinket) that makes you smile, good for you. Have a nice day. I have the answer to my question.

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-

Distinguished SOTW Member
鈥淎ll that money.鈥 $60-$250...cmon man you need some better paying gigs or something!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts