Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, does anybody have transcriptions of any of the sax solos on Billy Joel songs? In particular, "Only the Good Die Young," "New York State of Mind.," and "Scenes from an Italian Restaurant."

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
Get a copy of Transcribe. Slow it to 50%. Loop it a measure at a time until you have it down. You will learn 1000% more than reading it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,968 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,077 Posts
Yep to that.
If you need a transcription to make sense of those solos, you're probably not really ready to actually play them effectively. Better than nuthin' though . . . .

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have a pdf of phil woods solo from billy joels - just the way you are..pm me your email ill give it to you
Hi I am looking for this music sheet "Just the way you are" Billy Joel the solo alto sax for my daughter to play for the church fundraising...will you kindly share it with us??my email: [email protected]

Thnks sooo much...been looking for this everywhere....and we just have less than 2 weeks to practice....thnks again

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi I am looking for this music sheet "Just the way you are" Billy Joel the solo alto sax for my daughter to play for the church fundraising...will you kindly share it with us??my email: [email protected]

Thnks sooo much...been looking for this everywhere....and we just have less than 2 weeks to practice....thnks again
e-mail sent...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thnks so much but I checked my email..somehow I do not receive it...I will check it again...can you try to send it to me again...very much appreciate it...if it does not work, I will send you different email...

thnks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,092 Posts
I have all those solos written down somewhere, but I'm on the road for the weekend. Shoot me a PM next week and I'll try to take pictures of my old transcriptions and send them. Some are for the wrong horns though, because I barely play clarinet and when I was in the Billy Joel cover band I was on a tenor that I never could control in the altissimo; some of the tenor solos are written for alto.

Funny story, I did a gig on Saturday with a band that played most songs down a half-step. MAN, what a trip transposing "Only The Good Die Young" on the fly! I was dreading "Just The Way You Are," but it wound up being the Bruno Mars song. LOL

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,564 Posts

Funny how Billy Joel credits a huge chunk of his popularity to the fact that when "Only the Good Die Young" came out, the church made a very public plea for that album to be censored. There was even a movement to have it banned from the radio and boycotted at the record store...Again, led by the church. Now you are preparing your daughter to perform the music of the man that the Pope was convinced was going to bring down Christianity in a church event.

Any further comment would be discussing my religious beliefs, so I will stop there...Just stating the facts, no intent to offend anyone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey my brother would you be able to e-mail me those transcriptions as well I would really appreciate it. I have a subbing gig on Saturday playing Alto.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts