Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking a vacation to the Seattle and Portland area (and surrounding areas) this week and am wondering if there are any sax shops or music stores worth trying to get by while there.

Thanks.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Wally's Music

saxjd,

Check in with Steve Bond at Wally's Music in Oregon City:

http://wallysmusic.com/

This is just a little south of Portland. Steve has a great selection of used saxophones on consignment. Call ahead and he'll have all the horns you are interested in set out for you. I've gone several times and tried a Selmer Pea Shooter, a BA, SBA, SML, several Kings, several Martins, Conn's, and Keilwerth's.

I was able to A-B my old Martin Indiana vs. the pea shooter - my old Martin beat it out. This was after I had their techs regulate it and build up the palm keys.

Its a small shop but they have 6 techs!. There are some of the nicest folks I have ever dealt with. I've sold him horns and bought a couple from him. I highly recomend him to you. I don't think there is any better place in the Portland area.

Near Seattle is Sarge's World Wide Sax and I hear its great. I've never been there but I'd love to go there some day.

Give us a report back after your trip.
Bon Voyage. :cool:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2011
774 Posts
Rpc

Grumps said:
Ron Coelho (RPC) is in Portland.
Yes, but does anyone know where in Portland?

I am trying to get comparative quotations for shipping a mpc to Spain, but don't have Ron's zip code to give as the 'origin'!

·
Registered
496 Posts
rogerb40uk said:
Yes, but does anyone know where in Portland?

I am trying to get comparative quotations for shipping a mpc to Spain, but don't have Ron's zip code to give as the 'origin'!
Roger,

Portland uses the 972xx zip codes where xx = 01 to 99, ie. 97201 through 97299. I would think the mailing charge would be fairly close in this whole area.
If he is in a suburb it will be slightly different but may use the same central mailing center. This may give you a rough estimate, anyway.

In case you are interested, Springer's mpc's are made in the Portland area too. These are very reasonably priced at about $100 for a hand made HR piece. I haven't tried one - YET - but I am tempted. His work looks very nice. I think he advertises on this board sometimes. Here's a link:

http://www.springermpc.com/

Cheers;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts