Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello dear sax fellows! im argentinian saxophonist going to usa in july...i would like to visit sax shops and bring some stuffs (maybe one or two saxs and mouthpieces) because there are much more variatey and less expensive than my country. Could you please recommend me shops in New york city , in Miami and in Chicago? this are the 3 cities i will visit
Thank you very much for your recommendations!!

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
How will you safely transport home any saxes after you buy them? There have been several discussion threads here on SOTW about whether or not it is possible to take a sax as a piece of carry-on luggage on an airplane flight. The answers seem to vary depending on what size sax it is, what shape case you have, what exact type of plane you are flying in, and the mood of the airline's gate attendants on the day you fly.

It may be possible to properly pack a sax in a case so that it will survive any rough treatment that is normally given to suitcases in checked luggage, but even then you would have a very valuable instrument being loaded into and unloaded from a cargo hold, with whatever uncertainties that includes. And if you were planning to take an unprotected (not well packed) sax on the plane as carry-on luggage, but then find out that they will not let you do this, and instead this unprotected sax gets thrown in with all the other checked luggage, that could be very bad.

There are many choices in and around New York City. In midtown Manhattan, there is a Sam Ash, Jon Baltimore Music, Roberto's, Rod Baltimore's. All these stores are in the area around 46th - 48th Street. I don't think you'll find any similar cluster of music stores that are so close to each other. Another nice store with an excellent selection of new and used horns in stock is USA Horn in Union NJ (see their web site at www.usahorn.com).

·
Registered
534 Posts
che...I'm not sure about sax shops in Miami besides the Sam Ash stores and stuff. But you can go to All County Music in Pembroke Pines (about 45 min from Miami). Last I remember they had a few Selmer and Yamaha altos there. Not a lot of them...probably a total of 7-8 altos. Or you can call their store up in Margate and ask them what they have in stock.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts