Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Soprano Saxophone
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My woodwind repair person, Mike Hammer, moved his shop and it is quite far from me now. Are there another topnotch repair person in Philadelphia?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
There are not. The closest you’ll find is Steve Malarsky near Bethlehem. I’m in Philly and I send my horns to Ken Beason down in Asheville. He does such great work that I haven’t needed repairs in years.

·
Soprano Saxophone
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are not. The closest you’ll find is Steve Malarsky near Bethlehem. I’m in Philly and I send my horns to Ken Beason down in Asheville. He does such great work that I haven’t needed repairs in years.
Thanks. That is terrible. When I moved to Philadelphia 18 years ago, there were three good repair people. Thanks for the information about Steve and Ken. I generally need just a occasional adjustment to my horn, so I was hoping to find someone nearby.

Reactions: saxyjare01

·
Soprano Saxophone
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. That is terrible. When I moved to Philadelphia 18 years ago, there were three good repair people. Thanks for the information about Steve and Ken. I generally need just a occasional adjustment to my horn, so I was hoping to find someone nearby. Hammer's shop is closer to me than Bethlehem is.

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
##### UNSOLICITED ADVICE WARNING #####

Learn to do some of the easy stuff yourself, that way trips to the repair shop will be less frequent. What do you classify as "occasional adjustments?" Small pad leaks, corks falling off?

·
Soprano Saxophone
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
##### UNSOLICITED ADVICE WARNING #####

Learn to do some of the easy stuff yourself, that way trips to the repair shop will be less frequent. What do you classify as "occasional adjustments?" Small pad leaks, corks falling off?
Thanks. I appreciate it. Yes, pad leaks are usually the problem. I have the "Saxophone Manual" by Howard, but between work, practicing, and life, it always gets pushed into the background.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,967 Posts
Before Ed Coles passed away, he was a great option. I'm not sure on the skill level of Coles Music over the bridge in NJ, but Ed had an apprentice and an experienced guy last time I visited in 2015 or early 2016. Sadly, Ed passed away in 2016. He was a master, on par with Hammer. I felt Hammers pad work was a tiny sliver better, but Ed's finishing work was a tiny sliver better than Hammers.

Not sure on the repair department there but I believe they're still in business. Might be worth a look. Not sure I'd that qualifies as "close" but might be an option.

·
Soprano Saxophone
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Soprano Saxophone
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Before Ed Coles passed away, he was a great option. I'm not sure on the skill level of Coles Music over the bridge in NJ, but Ed had an apprentice and an experienced guy last time I visited in 2015 or early 2016. Sadly, Ed passed away in 2016. He was a master, on par with Hammer. I felt Hammers pad work was a tiny sliver better, but Ed's finishing work was a tiny sliver better than Hammers.

Not sure on the repair department there but I believe they're still in business. Might be worth a look. Not sure I'd that qualifies as "close" but might be an option.
Thanks! I'll look into Coles Music too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have found Black Horse Music in Runnemede, NJ to be really good. Pat Brose (? on spelling) is the owner. Pat fixed one horn for me, and got it playing great, when 3 other techs gave it back to me with the same problem that I asked them to fix. He has since repaired another horn for me and totally re-padded another. All of his work has been excellent and done in a reasonable period of time.

·
Soprano Saxophone
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have found Black Horse Music in Runnemede, NJ to be really good. Pat Brose (? on spelling) is the owner. Pat fixed one horn for me, and got it playing great, when 3 other techs gave it back to me with the same problem that I asked them to fix. He has since repaired another horn for me and totally re-padded another. All of his work has been excellent and done in a reasonable period of time.
Thanks. That would be a convenient one for me.

·
Soprano Saxophone
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There is Gunnar Mossblad in West Chester who does a lot of work and I believe Brenden Lagan is in that area. Brenden learned from Eric Satterlee at Meridian Winds.
Thanks!

·
2,135 Posts
I would make the trip to Nutley NJ and take it to Anthony Salimbene. I have played several tenors he overhauled and they were leagues beyond others I have tried. When my 78k needs it, I am taking it to Tony

check him out at AJS Woodwind repair.

·
Soprano Saxophone
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would make the trip to Nutley NJ and take it to Anthony Salimbene. I have played several tenors he overhauled and they were leagues beyond others I have tried. When my 78k needs it, I am taking it to Tony

check him out at AJS Woodwind repair.
Thanks. That’s a little far, almost as far Roberto’s Winds in NYC.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts