Sax on the Web Forum banner

sax repair in Brisbane?

14K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  rattionline 
#1 ·
Recently moved to Brisbane, Australia and wondering if anyone has recommendations for repair/service techs?

many thanks

#4 ·
In brisbane theres a gentlemen called andrew, he apparently apprenticed making flutes here in australia long time ago, then moved to germany to study and worked as an instrument manufacturer. He has a business called blow, they have 3 techs working there. I cannot vouch for his repair skills as I have personally never seen them, but his credentials are good and yes I have met him personally..

http://www.blowwindrepairs.com.au/blow/Welcome.html

For down Melbourne adelaide area, I would recommend a gentleman by the name of geoff, he travels through adeliade and melbourne regularly. His repairs are some of the best Ive ever seen, my dent repairs are good his are exceptional to say the least, very good if not top quality work. Ive sent him jobs when Im snowed under, they come back with no evidence of the damage having ever existed, and fairly priced

http://retrofitrepairs.com.au/

#7 ·
In brisbane theres a gentlemen called andrew, he apparently apprenticed making flutes here in australia long time ago, then moved to germany to study and worked as an instrument manufacturer. He has a business called blow, they have 3 techs working there. I cannot vouch for his repair skills as I have personally never seen them, but his credentials are good and yes I have met him personally..

http://retrofitrepairs.com.au/
that would be Andrew Berrington. He rebuilt a Haynes flute for me a few years back and he is an excellent, excellent repairer.

#5 ·
I can vouch for the guys at Blow wind repairs. Good service, good skills and they knows saxes. I have used them several times including the complete overhaul of my KW New King. Nice to have techs that listens to you rather than treating you as a number......

Also check out John Morris at Play Today Music. Knows horns.

www.playtodaymusic.com.au

#6 ·
I recommend jamie roberson in lismore, he has worked in london for a long time( bill lewingtons) & has done saxophone to all the major stars in the 80's & 90's.... I mean guys like brecker, turrentine, you name it. I saw his repad on a MKVI & it was some of the best work I've ever seen..............I cant recommend him highly enogh!

#17 ·
Resurrecting an old thread, but just wanted to add a recommendation for John Stephenson of JDS Woodwind.

A few years ago I bought a Yamaha off eBay and started taking lessons. I was able to play notes but I put the difficulty down to learning a new instrument. My teacher asked to try the saxophone and she was barely able to play it! She recommended I take the sax to John to get it looked at.

He completely overhauled the sax and the next time I played it, it was like a completely different instrument! He also spent a bit of time telling me what kind of work he had done on it which I really appreciated.

My first impression of John on the phone was he's a man of few words...a little eccentric perhaps, but his work is solid. Very professional and a fantastic technician, I highly recommend.

#23 ·
Actually, I spelled his name wrongly. On reflection, it's Jim Beringer. He's an American but with an Australian mother. He told me once that his father was stationed at the RAAF flying boat base at Lake Boga and got talking to the switchboard girl at the exchange in Swan Hill. The conversation got so friendly that they went out together and eventually married. Jim did his training in the US but felt an affinity for his mother's birthplace and decided to come here to start his business. He must have had a bit of capital behind him because he was in pretty good premises in Kings Way South Melbourne at first when I had my only dealings with him. I guess he started big and worked hard at the business to the point where he then had to work for someone else.

#24 ·
I remember when Jim Beringer had his own place, "Bandstand Brass & Woodwind," at 315 Bay Street, Port Melbourne. That was around 1998 or 9. I headed back off OS for a few years and when I got home again he'd closed down. Pity. He was bloody good.

There used to be a decent repair team in For Winds in Fernberg Road, Paddington, in Brisbane. That was around 2007, so things might have changed since then. I suppose Billy Hyde's in Barry Parade, Fortitude Valley is gone, too…

#25 ·
I remember when Jim Beringer had his own place, "Bandstand Brass & Woodwind," at 315 Bay Street, Port Melbourne. That was around 1998 or 9. I headed back off OS for a few years and when I got home again he'd closed down. Pity. He was bloody good.

There used to be a decent repair team in For Winds in Fernberg Road, Paddington, in Brisbane. That was around 2007, so things might have changed since then. I suppose Billy Hyde's in Barry Parade, Fortitude Valley is gone, too…
Jim went to work at Musicorp in Canterbury Rd, then out to Blackburn after the Billy Hydes takeover.
He's now at Fine Music in Hawthorn I believe.
Great guy, fabulous repairer. He repadded a flute for me in 2008 when I worked in Melbourne. I sold it to a student a few years later and it still plays perfectly without a single bit of work since then.

#27 ·
My 62 alto is currently being overhauled by Gabriel. This is the first time Gabriel has worked on my horns but I've only heard very good comments about his work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.