Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently moved to Brisbane, Australia and wondering if anyone has recommendations for repair/service techs?

many thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just bumping this in the hope that someone will have a recommendation

alternatively do people send their saxes interstate? If so where?

·
Registered
271 Posts
There is a great tech in Canberra. He is a member here - Dirk - and goes by the name dzve. I travel from Sydney to use him.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,690 Posts
In brisbane theres a gentlemen called andrew, he apparently apprenticed making flutes here in australia long time ago, then moved to germany to study and worked as an instrument manufacturer. He has a business called blow, they have 3 techs working there. I cannot vouch for his repair skills as I have personally never seen them, but his credentials are good and yes I have met him personally..

http://www.blowwindrepairs.com.au/blow/Welcome.html

For down Melbourne adelaide area, I would recommend a gentleman by the name of geoff, he travels through adeliade and melbourne regularly. His repairs are some of the best Ive ever seen, my dent repairs are good his are exceptional to say the least, very good if not top quality work. Ive sent him jobs when Im snowed under, they come back with no evidence of the damage having ever existed, and fairly priced

http://retrofitrepairs.com.au/

·
Registered
78 Posts
I can vouch for the guys at Blow wind repairs. Good service, good skills and they knows saxes. I have used them several times including the complete overhaul of my KW New King. Nice to have techs that listens to you rather than treating you as a number......

Also check out John Morris at Play Today Music. Knows horns.

www.playtodaymusic.com.au

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
1,530 Posts
I recommend jamie roberson in lismore, he has worked in london for a long time( bill lewingtons) & has done saxophone to all the major stars in the 80's & 90's.... I mean guys like brecker, turrentine, you name it. I saw his repad on a MKVI & it was some of the best work I've ever seen..............I cant recommend him highly enogh!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,003 Posts
In brisbane theres a gentlemen called andrew, he apparently apprenticed making flutes here in australia long time ago, then moved to germany to study and worked as an instrument manufacturer. He has a business called blow, they have 3 techs working there. I cannot vouch for his repair skills as I have personally never seen them, but his credentials are good and yes I have met him personally..

http://retrofitrepairs.com.au/
that would be Andrew Berrington. He rebuilt a Haynes flute for me a few years back and he is an excellent, excellent repairer.

·
3,003 Posts
I recommend jamie roberson in lismore, he has worked in london for a long time( bill lewingtons) & has done saxophone to all the major stars in the 80's & 90's.... I mean guys like brecker, turrentine, you name it. I saw his repad on a MKVI & it was some of the best work I've ever seen..............I cant recommend him highly enogh!
don't sell yourself short Dirk :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
1,530 Posts
But for anyone up that direction I would still recommend jamie robertson , his work is esxcellent. He is on 02 66220763...... Give him a call!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I recommend Don Gordon for quality work on saxophones and reasonable prices. Don works from his home workshop at Ferny Hills.

Ray Morris - Bari and bass saxes
Everton Hills

·
Registered
10 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread, but just wanted to add a recommendation for John Stephenson of JDS Woodwind.

A few years ago I bought a Yamaha off eBay and started taking lessons. I was able to play notes but I put the difficulty down to learning a new instrument. My teacher asked to try the saxophone and she was barely able to play it! She recommended I take the sax to John to get it looked at.

He completely overhauled the sax and the next time I played it, it was like a completely different instrument! He also spent a bit of time telling me what kind of work he had done on it which I really appreciated.

My first impression of John on the phone was he's a man of few words...a little eccentric perhaps, but his work is solid. Very professional and a fantastic technician, I highly recommend.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I recommend Don Gordon for quality work on saxophones and reasonable prices. Don works from his home workshop at Ferny Hills.
+1 for Don Gordon (isn't that ARANA Hills ?); he nicely restored a skeleton of a Selmer Bari for me years ago. PM if you would like his phone number.

·
7,904 Posts
I bet you're thinking of Jim Berrenger.
That's him you're right.
He used to work at Allans/Billy Hyde in Blackburn.
I was discussing getting a sax overhauled by him there when Allans was going under.
Next time I went there the shop was virtualy empty and they were even selling the furniture.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts