Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 15 years away, I started playing my alto (A-901 Yanigasawa) again. I believe the sax requires a fairly extensive overhaul. Does anyone have any recommendations for good technicians in the Boston area? Thanks so much!

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Ditto! Jack Finucane at The Boston Sax Shop is a master and great to deal with too.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
Jack is excellent and busy. You can also try Georgie at Maestro Woodwind Repair, not far from Jacks. He overhauled horns for a few of my customers and they were very happy. He also worked on a friends Yani 9937 and he was quite pleased.

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2019
1,028 Posts
Jack at Boston Sax Shop is the man. Was in his shop getting a couple of my saxes tuned up a couple of days ago - he does great work but is booked pretty far out for overhauls. He's worth waiting for though. I had him overhaul my 82Z a few years ago and it became a different (and far better) sax after that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the input guys, my own research turned up those two as well. I think I will try The Maetro as Jack looks pretty booked out!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I actually have a call in his shop. I've been there before for small adjustments, neck corks etc. I just don't know what he charges for an overhaul. Jack was the one who wanted 1500 for an overhaul but an alto may be less. I also found a guy today that charges 625. I don't know anything about him but here's his website:

http://ahfsaxrepair.wixsite.com/yourtech

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
861 Posts
Actually, has anyone tried Bob Drinkwater? He seems legit!
Bob's a great guy and does great work. He's been around a long time and is very qualified to overhaul a Sax, or Clarinet

He has referred one or two tough cases to the Boston Sax shop, as he doesn't take on anything he can't do well.

I've had a lot of Saxes and Clarinets in to him for the usual adjustments, pads, corks etc.

He overhauled my 20's Pedler BC for me perfectly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts