Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I was wondering what to use to polish my Silver plated Buescher Big B alto.

Tim
thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
For really dirty areas, a paste like Wenol is good but for light tarnish a liquid such as Haggerty's will work. Take the keys off first so it won't gum up the rods.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
278 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So...
no paste at all?
just cloth?

·
Banned
49 Posts
"Wenol!! Its the best! "

With all apologies I'm afraid that I must disagree. 3M makes a product called Tarni-Shield which comes out of the bottle as a heavy cream. I dilute it 50/50 with water and then apply it with an old torn piece of bed sheet. Wait for it to dry to a white haze and then wipe off. The results are fantastic. It is far less abrasive than Wenol which I use in the shop when the "Nuclear Option" is called for. But when a silver horn comes in with lots of good old black AgS (Silver Sulfide AKA Tarnish) all over it this stuff will make it shine like new, if there's silver left under the tarnish.

SG

·
Registered
278 Posts
So...
no paste at all?
just cloth?
Yes it has a cleaning side and a polishing side. This is the same thing alot of your music stores will use to clean silver plated used instruments before they put them on the rack.

·
Registered
278 Posts
"Wenol!! Its the best! "

With all apologies I'm afraid that I must disagree. 3M makes a product called Tarni-Shield which comes out of the bottle as a heavy cream. I dilute it 50/50 with water and then apply it with an old torn piece of bed sheet. Wait for it to dry to a white haze and then wipe off. The results are fantastic. It is far less abrasive than Wenol which I use in the shop when the "Nuclear Option" is called for. But when a silver horn comes in with lots of good old black AgS (Silver Sulfide AKA Tarnish) all over it this stuff will make it shine like new, if there's silver left under the tarnish.

SG
I have heard of good results of the 3M product also.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
another question:

Do i have to take my sax appart to do this or not?
if i do, are there any charts or steps of doing that?
I have never done this before, so thank you for all the patience.
tim

·
Registered
278 Posts
another question:

Do i have to take my sax appart to do this or not?
if i do, are there any charts or steps of doing that?
I have never done this before, so thank you for all the patience.
tim
DO NOT - DO NOT take your sax apart. Start with the Blitz cloth I think you will be happy with the results. If you want the horn to look like it's brand new save up your money and take it to the best repair shop in your area. If you are not a tech - "Leave it to the folk that do it for a living" Better safe than sorry!

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
There are lots of ways to (something) a (something). I'm having a senior moment and forgot the saying. Just fill in the blanks you know what I mean.

Hagertys also makes and excellent cloth with the polish embedded into its fabric. Hagertys Polish Cloth
My favorite however is the Hagerty Spray Polish

This should be used ONLY on the body with the keys removed. You spray on a light mist, it dries quickly to a pink powder, and then you "rag" the instrument to a bright deep shine with a clean soft cloth. If you have a small buffing set-up a trick I like to use is to spray a very light mist on a soft cotton buffing wheel, let it dry, and then buff the keys. It's amazing what just that much polish will do...

One you instrument is polished, to keep it that way I highly recommend the Drs. Gleam Anti-Tarnish Sachet.

The creams and past polishes work great as well. I just don't have the patience to clean all of the product off once it's applied. I would never use those (again) with the keys on the sax. You'll go crazy trying to clean all the nooks and crannies.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all. that took time to help me.
Tim

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
If you really want it cleaned the right way, have a tech take it apart, you clean the parts and he puts it back together. If not, just use the cloth mentioned above and use the polish on the open areas of the bell, bow and back. For Wenol, you can find it on ebay (red box).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts