Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is my Martin Committee, although it plays in tune with itself, play 20-30 cents flat on every note? I'm using a Brilhart Tonalin, which should be a good match. I dialed in the mouthpiece as best as I could but now the whole thing plays flat (but in tune with itself.) Any suggestions?

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
20,089 Posts
Push in, or firm up your lip, or try a 1/2 step firmer reed.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
agreed. But is your breathing apparatus fit enough to provide the extra air pressure that must accompany these measures?

Also, get coolsax to play in a less cool room :)

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
oops, sorry. I've never played a Martin Committee before and am also getting used to alto from tenor... turns out the mouthpiece was way too far in. I got both my mouthpieces playing in tune with it (runyon custom and brilhart tonalin.) The tonalin is a bit too open so I'm using the runyon now. Plays great but just requires a little careful adjusment on the lowest and highest notes... the intonation seems very good but is generally flexible. but for the palm keys I must lip up a bit, and for the low notes below D I have to expand my mouth a little bit. I have to be a tad bit more attentive to the tuning while playing it, than I was used to. I just recorded myself tonight and posted a clip ('All of me') in the recordings subforum.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Going from tenor to alto you are likely to be flat until you use lip and breath pressure more suitable for alto.

"I have to be a tad bit more attentive to the tuning while playing it"

And when you go to soprano you will have to be a LOT more attentive. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.