Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title says it all. I'm sitting here watching a stream of Terence Blanchard and his quintet playing at Birdland, and I'm wondering if anyone knows who his sax player is.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2011
791 Posts
A little off-topic, but I sat in on a mediated conversation between Terrence Blanchard and a music critic at the school where I teach. He made a statement that stuck with me as he discussed the guys coming into sessions and the first and foremost things out of their mouths was in effect the quandary as to what the pay was. He said to live life by the philosophy that 'when it's time to get paid, you'll get paid." The way it was said carried the meaning that one should concentrate on his art-his work- and do it to the highest possible degree. The commitment to the work will generate the recognition and rewards when they've reached their value.

Randy
www.randyhunterjazz.com
Online Jazz Lessons and Books
New Lesson: Shaping the Blues Scale
Lessons page: www.beginningsax.com/Jazz Improv Lessons.htm
Podcast Samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/saxtrax
Rhythm Changes Demo:

·
Registered
177 Posts
A little off-topic, but I sat in on a mediated conversation between Terrence Blanchard and a music critic at the school where I teach. He made a statement that stuck with me as he discussed the guys coming into sessions and the first and foremost things out of their mouths was in effect the quandary as to what the pay was. He said to live life by the philosophy that 'when it's time to get paid, you'll get paid." The way it was said carried the meaning that one should concentrate on his art-his work- and do it to the highest possible degree. The commitment to the work will generate the recognition and rewards when they've reached their value.
i agree with that, but also you have to be careful not to let others undervalue what you do, which generally is the tendency in the world of business and gigs. i guess in his example, it's a little different than what i'm alluding to. in his, it sounds like he's talking about when people hire you to play with them. mine is more of a situation where if you're looking for gigs. honestly, whenever someone will ask me to play with them, i'll do it because i know if they ask me, they really want to play with me so i care about that musical exchange more so than the money i'll get from it. but i have been in situations where people have in effect "used" me repeatedly without compensation, which could be my fault but equally theirs as well, imho. especially if others are getting paid.

all i really know is i wouldn't ask someone repeatedly to do something without trying to compensate them somehow...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
35,069 Posts
Hah, reminds me of some work I did for a guy when I was in college. I turned a new two-ton truck into a food vendor wagon complete with a 3-phase marine-style compact generator, frozen yogurt machine and espresso bar. Later he told me (regarding payment) "I'd rather owe it to you than screw you out of it."

That was 20+ years ago. How long should I wait before I get upset?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hah, reminds me of some work I did for a guy when I was in college. I turned a new two-ton truck into a food vendor wagon complete with a 3-phase marine-style compact generator, frozen yogurt machine and espresso bar. Later he told me (regarding payment) "I'd rather owe it to you than screw you out of it."

That was 20+ years ago. How long should I wait before I get upset?
i don't know, i think with music and musicians it's a little different. playing out is a necessary part of development and if you're turning down gigs over the amount you're going to get (which i think is what terence is hinting out) then you're probably not concerned so much with your development as much as you're concerned with getting money. you have to have your heart in the right place...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
35,069 Posts
i don't know, i think with music and musicians it's a little different.
I agree that playing out is necessary for development. A young player should gobble most every opportunity.

But, you know what? I've also learned that musicians are people too - good, bad, and otherwise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts