Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be travelling to France and Strasbourg in July and just found out that there's a World Saxophone Congress going on over there.
This is my first time to France and never been to World Saxophone Congress either, maybe someone can give me a heads up ?
Thank you !

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,066 Posts
It will be interesting to see what this gathering makes of the state of the Saxophone “ world” since it is now held in Continental Europe. Please report back from it.

The congress is an event held once each three years and it is as much a tourist attraction as anything else held in summer in Europe.

Strasbourg is a beautiful town where, when the EU parliament is not in sitting, hotels are running all sorts of special offers to make use of the overcapacity and the city council tries to gather as many visitors as possible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Saxophone_Congress

But the last 5 years have shown a serious market flexing in Europe ( much more than the USA or Asia) and the most important commercial event the Musikmesse of Frankfurt has show less and less visitors and a substatial reduction of the number of exhibitors and of the area of the trade fair actually occupied by woodwinds ( which, this year, were apparently, relegated to share the premises with percussion! An ideal combination to appreciate the finesses of sound!).

There is the potential for many street and marching band visiting the congress because the area of both Germany and France ( and perhaps Austria, South of Holland and Belgium too will answer to the call) are rich in these although traditionally they comprise more brass instruments than they have woodwinds.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,066 Posts
the culinary and libation joys will be, I am sure, a great part of the fun at the ( World!) congress.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys !
I think I will definitely enjoy the food and wine over there !
Is there any particular shops that I need to check out ?
I heard from a friend who studied in France before, and talked about the shop "Feeling"?
Also maybe there's old Selmer museum or something ? hahaha not quite sure but maybe it will be interesting to check it out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts