Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Forum Founder
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The latest from the original poster:
...and Miles (MY-LOW-SX90R) has run virus scans on his photos & came up okay.
i've gone back to his ad & had no issues.
very strange. I may have had another browser open, but i was actively viewing on sotw @ the time the virus struck.
ain't technology grand?
my machine has been recovered w/o too much headache & i continue to remain vigilant.
thanks again.
best .......
I read the the thread in question, so did everyone else and no-one else got any viruses. After all neither did the original whistle blower.

It is wise and prudent to be alert on mal-ware. It is recommended that you up-load images as SOTW attachments rather than linking to external sites. If you have problems with your attachment quota, let the forum admins know.

Thanks,

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,022 Posts
The latest from the original poster:

I read the the thread in question, so did everyone else and no-one else got any viruses. After all neither did the original whistle blower.

It is wise and prudent to be alert on mal-ware. It is recommended that you up-load images as SOTW attachments rather than linking to external sites. If you have problems with your attachment quota, let the forum admins know.

Thanks,
I do not generally attach images because (1) I have my own dedicated web space, and (2) the last time you upgraded, all the attachments disappeared. They still haven't come back, and I believe you have given up.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,229 Posts
Harri, I hope you didn't take offense at the way I reported the problem on the site. It wasn't meant as an accusation, just a problem I had experienced with the site, as did others. The title of the thread could have been more artful, but that's the way McAfee had reported it to me and it caught me by surprise.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,156 Posts
the last time you upgraded, all the attachments disappeared. They still haven't come back, and I believe you have given up.
Are you sure that the settings haven't changed. ie do you have "Show Images" enabled in your forum settings?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,022 Posts
Are you sure that the settings haven't changed. ie do you have "Show Images" enabled in your forum settings?
Yes. I can see attachments that were added after the upgrade, but all those that were attached to posts from prior to the upgrade have nothing in the "Attached Files" box. Posts with embedded externally hosted files still work, from before or after the upgrade, so long as the file in question is still hosted where the link points to.

·
Forum Founder
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't get the warning trying to look at an extension, but when I tried to respond to a poll.
Are you sure that you did not have another browser window open at the same time?
There have been a lot of confusion in the virus prevention situation recently (e.g. McAfee mess). I am trying to get to the top of the situation right now. Still I do not see how forum's poll template could transmit Trojans.

What confuses me is that of thousands of users only a few report Trojan warnings and there are no actual reports of virus contamination. This seems to be dependent on a user's browser and the virus protection software used.

Yet, a lingering confusion in these matters is a reason enough to be concerned. There have been several maintenance releases to this forum's foundation sw since converting to version 4.0. Because of the bad experiences of the latest conversion I have been putting on the maintenance releases. Perhaps I have to bite the bullet and try to eliminate possible holes if there exists any by updating to the latest?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,229 Posts
Are you sure that you did not have another browser window open at the same time?
No, just the one with the forum open. McAfee highlighted the IE browser with SOTW open in red, warned me not to come to the site and declared it "unsafe". The log shows that the file ("Generic Downloader.o") was "repaired (removed)". I figured it was a bug and maybe something tripped McAfee when the poll was trying to count my vote and in response I just deleted all my browsing history and came back. Though I didn't try to answer any poll since, I haven't gotten any other warnings.

·
Forum Founder
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
alex01 wrote elsewhere on the net (boldings are mine):
07-03-2009
i should have thought about trying that earlier - yes my business computer
has mcafee installed and it reports blocking a script then reporting it as a
trojan: generic downloader.o in the log.

i'm no expert on web design but the web designer said that it can't a virus
because firefox would pick it up as well, which if true makes me think that
it could false reading in ie.

another point is that both avg and mcafee have a link to find out more about
the object but neither come up with anything.

hope this helps

"G. R. Woodring" wrote:

> If you are sure that the site is not serving a virus you will need to find out
> what element in the page is being flagged and submit it as a false positive to
> AVG. You could also update the anti-virus definitions to see if AVG has
> discovered the problem elsewhere and corrected it (it may take up to a few weeks
> if the problem is not seen by many users).
>
> If you are _NOT_ sure, submit the URL to AVG through their forum or support
> system and let _them_ take the risk.
>
> It is possible that you have different scanning settings in Firefox than in IE
> or that the site is serving different content based on browser sniffing.
>
> Do you know if users of other anti-virus software are receiving a warning?
>
> --
> G. R. Woodring
>
> Date: 7/3/2009 12:17 PM, Author: alex01 Wrote:
> > a friend has a website for his business. on visiting the home page of the
> > site a virus warning comes up in AVG: (HTML/Framer.BS). he has contacted the
> > website builder and hosting company but both say that its nothing to do with
> > them. this only happens in IE and not firefox which is why i'm asking
> > question here.
> >
> > any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as his business is being badly
> > affected.
> >
> > thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Just to give my experience, I use Firefox and Sophos anti-virus software. I got the Trojan alert three times before, two being in the same day within a few hours of each other. All I did was log in and click on "New Posts" with it coming to the page and then the alert would occur. No other browsers or windows were open and once I did a full scan, I came up with nothing. Nothing has happened since I posted on the previous thread regarding this.

·
Forum Founder
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to give my experience, I use Firefox and Sophos anti-virus software. I got the Trojan alert three times before, two being in the same day within a few hours of each other. All I did was log in and click on "New Posts" with it coming to the page and then the alert would occur. No other browsers or windows were open and once I did a full scan, I came up with nothing. Nothing has happened since I posted on the previous thread regarding this.
From Norton's test (Norton Safe Web):
http://safeweb.norton.com/report/show?url=http://saxontheweb.net&x=0&y=0

From Google Safe Browsing:
Diagnostic page for forum.saxontheweb.net

1 - 12 of 12 Posts