Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

CAN WE MAKE A DIFFERENCE?
Last year I had a crazy idea.... it was to raise money through this forum to purchase saxophones for students from families who are struggling to provide their student with a quality instrument. Members of Sax On The Web came through big time. A total of six alto saxophones and one tenor have been purchased with funds from this effort. Four of these instruments have been placed with deserving students!

Funds were raised through donation or donations collected from playing music in a public area. The support was fantastic and my hope is that inpsite of our struggling economy that we can continue this effort

THINK ABOUT IT...

- 20 dollars from me is enough to purchase a box of reeds

- 10 of donating $20 could get a good mouthpiece or two

- 50 of us donating 20.00 with a holiday discount from one of our saxophone selling members could purchase a couple of brand saxophones.

- 100 of us donating 20.00.... you get the idea.

Instead of purchasing new instruments I scanned Ebay and purchased some very nice (modern) used instruments and two instruments from :D Dave Kessler and a very gracious discount

:D Technicians Jim Rumbaugh and Jim Germann of Pittsburgh donated some time to prepare these saxophones for the students.

:D Mouthpiece guru Ed Zentera has donated a hand faced mouthpiece to each student who receeved a saxophone

All donations have been and will continue to be listed on my website...
www.saxothon.org

What I need other than donations
Vendors - Please consider making a donation. A saxophone, mouthpiece, neck straps, reeds, lyres. Make a proper donation and you receive an advertisement on the sax-o-thon website. An individual member donated a brand new student Selmer Alto last year!!!

Technicians - This past year we recieved a Beuscher True Tone to rebuild and sell for a proit. I will complete the polishing and will provide funds for pads but I need some labor to put this thing together. Are you in? Make a proper donation and you receive an advertisement on the sax-o-thon website

Members of SOTW - Please let other members know of this effort. It amazed me how many members contacted me later in the year saying that they did not know anything about this effort.

I have lead a blessed life and always look for opportunities to help others. As a teacher I have always told my students to "help others without expecting or accepting nothing in return."

AGAIN... It is time to give. SOTW'ers are you in with me? The first donation of the year came from... Harri Rautiainen! Thanks Harri, you get it!

Best regards,
Chris Hutter (HUTMO)

·
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One well known member who would like to stay anonymous has already donated an Alto sax to the cause.

Real generosity is doing something nice for someone who will never find out.
-- Frank A. Clark

Just got off of the phone with the latest nomination... single parent working renting a sax for her son. Good kid!

Thanks!!!

HUTMO

·
More horns than I'm worthy of . . .
1,751 Posts
My Sax-o-Thon busking in '08 was one of the highlights of my year.

I work in a small city north of Seattle but with an old downtown core. I checked with city officials and they said as long as I didn't block the sidewalk I could play all I wanted. So on the Friday before Christmas I set up my case with a printed page (mounted on cardboard) from the Sax-O-Thon website that explained what we were doing, just in case people were interested. I wore my little Santa hat and red bow time, with fingerless cotton gloves.

What I found out was that almost everybody likes to hear Christmas music on the street. Lots of smiles and small contributions, especially mom's giving their kids quarters to put in the case. Of course, the fact that it was about 20F degrees out made for a lot of sympathy giving, I suspect. I even had someone give me a fresh cup of coffee.

The high-traffic areas that worked for me were in front of banks and, of course, Starbucks. One department head where I worked heard me playing and invited me to come up and serenade her group, and then without prompting from me they passed a hat for the cause.

10 or 15 songs is plenty, since people don't hang around for long. They just seemed to like the ambient addition to the season. I'm going to have some PDF's of some of the standards ready if anybody wants them.

I STRONGLY encourage everyone to give it a go, if for no other reason than to challenge yourself a little and expand your sax experiences. I know that some were not as successful do to desperate economies (like our Bandmommy in Michigan - - ouch!), but I just had a ton of fun.

My goal is to triple my output from last year, but if not I'll still enjoy the holiday "free pass" to play in public.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Made mine earlier plus sending a mouthpiece.

Have to check and see if I need a permit , don't think I do.
Anyone else in Sydney up for a bit of busking ?

·
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Postal Service just delivered a very nice playing alto saxophone that will eventually go to a good home. An international donation to boot.

Thank you to the SOTW'er that made this generous donation.

Also on their way... three mouthpieces from the land down under.

Sax-O-Thon is truly an international effort.

Please consider supporting this effort.

Thank you for your help.

Chris Hutter (HUTMO)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
4,993 Posts
I'm in again, the quartet will be playing our annual "Sax for Christmas" gig in early December for donations, and saxonline will forward the same donation as last year.

Good luck.

·
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Made mine earlier plus sending a mouthpiece.

Have to check and see if I need a permit , don't think I do.
Anyone else in Sydney up for a bit of busking ?
Big thanks for your donation and a great package of mouthpieces and reeds.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,023 Posts
What I need other than donations
Vendors - Please consider making a donation. A saxophone, mouthpiece, neck straps, reeds, lyres. Make a proper donation and you receive an advertisement on the sax-o-thon website. An individual member donated a brand new student Selmer Alto last year!!!
Would you accept parts for which you have a specific need -- for example, the Eb cage for the 20's alto? I don't have an alto to take it from, but I do have a Martin C-mel, and the fit might actually be pretty close. I also have a YTS-21 carcass that has some parts left on it (mostly posts and point screws), and a bunch of rods (solid and hollow -- and a small number of axle screws) that I won on eBay.

·
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"Would you accept parts for which you have a specific need -- for example, the Eb cage for the 20's alto? I don't have an alto to take it from, but I do have a Martin C-mel, and the fit might actually be pretty close."

I do not have a need for parts cause the saxes I get are newer and are in good shape. I will take you up on the key guard.

email me at hutmo at yahoo.com

·
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Through a mutual friend I got the opportunity to meet Pittsburgh Saxophone Legend Kenny Blake and he has agreed to endorse Sax-O-Thon. The band I am playing with is working with Kenny to develop a support event.

Chris (HUTMO)

·
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tonight we were finally able to get together. Sax-O-Thon Sax number four went to a deserving home. What a feeling to hand a sax over to a deserving kid. He is in High School but paid a monthly rental fee for his sax.

Over the last two years he preformed over 1000 hours of community service!
He was really grateful and excited to say the least. He promised that if there ever comes a day he cannot use the sax that he will donated it to a deserving student or his school.

www.saxothon.org for more information and

·
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Today, December 2nd I recieved a great Grassi Alto saxophone from forum member SIDEPIPES (Bill).

Not only a really good looking and great playing sax he also included an Otto Link STM 7* and a Ernie Northway mouthpiece. Both of these are nice playing pieces.

The Northway, though it is a bit nicked up really played well for me. Actually... I loved it. For a tenor guy who barely play an alto it was an easy play.

This sax will eventually make its way to a deserving student. The mouthpieces will be sold or auctioned to provide more funds for the effort.

Thanks again Bill... Your a good Cat!

Chris Hutter (HUTMO)

·
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sax-O-Thon - DECEMBER 21, 2009 / UPDATE

HALF WAY THERE!!! Follow the thermometer!
www.saxothon.org

SAX-O-THON has reached $1100. This has been reached through cash donations and mouthpieces that were donated and sold with the proceeds going to this effort. My goal is to reach $2000.00 This will enable Sax-O-Thon to purchase 5 or 6 nice saxophones for deserving students. (depends on Ebay bidding)

In addition three saxophones have been donated.

Selmer Signet - not pretty but a really nice player
Grassi Jade - Very Nice looking and playing sax
CE Winds Alpha Series I Alto Saxophone Sax that was purchased and donated by a SOTW member!!!!!!

I will be meeting with the Woodwind Department from the Pittsburgh School of Performing Arts. They are very enthused that we can help some really deserving students!

If you know of a deserving student please do no hesitate to submit a nomination!

Merry Christmas and thank you for supporting this effort.

Chris Hutter
www.saxothon.org

·
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
UPDATE - THE LATEST DONATIONS TO SAX-O-THON

SHOUT OUT 1

Just want to give recognition to Pete Thomas for the donation of of a Christopher Elliot Saxophone to Sax-O-Thon. Pete has been a consistent supporter of this effort.

To make things better... Brian from CE Woodwinds donated the discount he gave to Pete and matched it!

SHOUT OUT 2
Dixie Sax donated 100.00!

SHOUT OUT 3
Glenn Good donated 75.00

SHOUT OUT 4
SOTW Member - Sidepipes (Bill Kunz)
doanted a
Grassi Jade Alto Saxophone
Ernie Northway mouthpiece (ALTO) - will go with one of the saxophones
Otto Link STM - 5* (ALTO) will be offered for sale

·
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Topic of the Month! Cool Thanks a bunch.

So far a great effort... now to the final month.

Happy New Year
Hutmo

1 - 20 of 21 Posts