Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired another sax-related curiosity: the Spike Jones Sax-o-Fun. It's a kazoo that, well, looks like a saxophone. And it's...fun? (Oh, what am I saying, it's a kazoo, so of course it's fun!)
View attachment 236814
In all seriousness, this is actually a pretty cool toy. It's made of a dark pink/red swirly plastic (probably bakelite), and the little rope lanyard that came with it is probably original. Plus, the original resonator still works! Granted, it doesn't work very well due to its age, but this kazoo was made so that the resonator can be easily removed and replaced via a little slot on the neck. Not bad for a $0.49 toy! ($0.49 in the 1940s, that is. It'd probably be about $5/$6 in today's money.) Plus resonators are dirt cheap, so I'll probably be picking up a couple in the near future.

So, anyone else out there have their own Sax-o-Fun? I don't know how common these are, but they probably aren't particularly valuable; I got mine for about $20 and probably overpaid. Still, it's a neat little toy and definitely worth a look for anyone who loves unusual saxophone-related items.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've got one of those in my office. Mine is yellow. I think I paid $15 or so on ebay a decade or so.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool! I've seen them in about five other colors, but yellow is a new one. I wonder how many colors they actually made these in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts