·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting video, not sure if already posted elsewhere:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,262 Posts
which was was the "A" piece and which one was the "B" piece?

I preferred "A" btw.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
which was was the "A" piece and which one was the "B" piece?

I preferred "A" btw.
It's a bit hidden in the video description: A is Phil-Tone Tribute Ltd and B is the Theo Wanne Gaia 3.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,305 Posts
The tribute sounds full and more spread and the gaia sounds more focused with more power. I think they both sound great. You sound comfortable on the gaia.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,010 Posts
I liked A & the GAIA3.
Me too. IOW, I liked both mpcs, but in blindfold demo I preferred the Tribute and in the non-blind demo I preferred the Gaia. Which just goes to show how 'useful' these YouTube clips really are (they tell you nothing about how the mpc feels or responds or actually sounds in person). I liked both because this guy's a very good player and makes them both sound good. I think he played slightly differently on the second comparison so that changed how the mpcs compared.

·
12,709 Posts
I would prefer it not had been called Mouthpiece Battle. Theo and I have worked together for a long time. The original Tribute would not have existed without Theo. Additionally, the Ltd would not exist without our continued collaboration. For me its not a Battle or even a competition. Its about two great mouthpieces created to assist players in their development.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah that's understandable. It's a silly title, because also his conclusion is basically that both are amazing mouthpieces and doesn't really pick a "winner" or anything like that.

It should've been called comparison instead maybe. But these videos miss a big point as has been pointed out above: the feeling of playing the mouthpiece, which is just as important as how it sounds. A good player can most likely make these two sound extremely similar.

I posted mainly because it's nice seeing your Tribute Ltd getting some more exposure. As you know I'm a happy, happy, happy customer with this one :)

·
12,709 Posts
Im happy people get to hear them and I understand the need to make videos a bit dramatic...otherwise they would not be noticed. I guess it just felt a little uncomfortable looking like there was a Competition between Theo and I when no such feelins exist.

·
3,230 Posts
i liked the Tribute a little better. No doubt they are both great pieces.

·
Registered
96 Posts
these videos miss a big point as has been pointed out above: the feeling of playing the mouthpiece, which is just as important as how it sounds.
Well, at least he mentioned he played a harder reed on the Gaia, which must have felt more free-blowing to him.

·
4,580 Posts
Well, at least he mentioned he played a harder reed on the Gaia, which must have felt more free-blowing to him.
Not surprising at all, the Gaia I used to have I had to play .5 strength harder reed on it than anything else "Link-like".

1 - 17 of 17 Posts