Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
Of course, now that it has been hailed as a "return" will this actually jinx it? There was an episode of 30 Rock recently where Liz Lemon is in a dream and she stumbles down an alley to find 3 people whose jobs don't exist anymore; Travel Agent, Detroit Auto-Worker, and guys who "blew dynamite sax solos in rock tunes."

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,107 Posts
Add people who fix anything that isn't a car, plumbing, computer, major appliance, or saxophone.

You like to think the dynamite blowers ended up in sax repair, but.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm sure it will, the sound is just beautiful and imo the closest instrument to the human voice.
Someone up there will figure it out eventually, maybe they'll pop it through effects like some of the fusion and funk players do or ala bitches brew.
I'd say it's coming soon, people are going to get tired of the stuff they're pumping out now, and they're going to need something new

Maybe
Smooth Jazz + Pop

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
I listened to those 2 Gaga songs the article mentioned. Man they make Clarence sound awful. Not that it's Clarence's fault. Many producers/recording engineers don't know what a sax (or any wind instrument) is supposed to sound like. I also think they heavily edited his parts, took things out, switched other parts around. It just doesn't sound good IMO.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,107 Posts
people are going to get tired of the stuff they're pumping out now, and they're going to need something new

Maybe
Smooth Jazz + Pop
That would be like going from out of the frying pan into the stewpot.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I listened to those 2 Gaga songs the article mentioned. Man they make Clarence sound awful. Not that it's Clarence's fault. Many producers/recording engineers don't know what a sax (or any wind instrument) is supposed to sound like. I also think they heavily edited his parts, took things out, switched other parts around. It just doesn't sound good IMO.
Agreed, I did the same. The playing doesn't sound good at all. It's been so processed that it doesn't really sound natural.
But I suppose that that is what they going for, they didn't want the integrity of the instrument, they wanted a sound that would suit the genre

·
2,077 Posts
Too funny. Both Lady Gaga tunes listed uin the article have the same identical groove and chorus for that matter. Clarencer sounds horrible on them and its not the processing...
Lenny's squeels on the Katie Perry song are embarrassing ... I would bet $ he was bull%@#* when he heard what they decided to use in the end, because you know he's killing ...
If this constitutes "bringing saxy back" the end is nigh...
Pop sax solos are a tricky bunch ... some are awe inspiring and some are purposely lame to fill space yet not detract (or upstage really) the singer. There was funny thread some time back about most famus lame pop sax solos ... all three K. Perry and Gaga tune sax solos here would fit that thread.

·
3,875 Posts
Lenny's squeels on the Katie Perry song are embarrassing ... I would bet $ he was bull%@#* when he heard what they decided to use in the end, because you know he's killing ...
They freakin' auto tuned some of the altissimo at the end of his bit. Ridiculous. This is what you get when you mix musicians who have legit talent and have been battle tested through thousands of live performances with "artists" and producers who rely heavily on having to fix everything in Pro Tools.

·
2,077 Posts
I love Lady Ga Ga by the way. Such a strectch by author of the article to imply anything in regards to those particular cuts and their use of sax. Are those the best of the saxophone on the airwaves currently?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,383 Posts
There's sax in *ANY* of those songs? Could've fooled me. I had to listen really hard to hear any of it, and even then, it was pretty much indistinguishable from the keyboard (with the exception of the Edge of Glory tune, which wasn't horrible). But if this is a comeback, it's pathetic.

Let's face it, the "sax solo" sound is so emblematic of 80's music that it immediately dates any tune that uses a sax solo. It's like throwing a clap track in, or a hammond organ, or a DX7. Their popularity was their downfall. It'll come back someday, I hope... but this isn't it.

Interestingly, I have been getting some calls to play locally in the last year or so with more non-cover rock bands that are looking for a bit of the the sax sound... "Springsteen vibe" is sometimes cited. Here's a recording of a local band that had me put in a sax track as an example:

http://www.schlap.com/music/PieceofMe.mp3

Now admittedly, the "sound" is a bit dated... but hey, at least it's not a cover song and it's not jazz which is a nice change of pace for me!

Pete

·
Registered
763 Posts
I listened to the songs a couple of times now.
Those sax lines do not add anything to the songs. I think they do the artists no good.
But then again, loads of people like artificial fruit flavour too.

Whatever people think about the music Lady Gaga is selling en masse, she can play unplugged perfectly fine and sing too.
But those sax lines in her songs and in most of the other songs ... *sigh* They kinda feel like a wrinkled piece of plastic glued onto a patch of rust.

·
Registered
545 Posts
reading all this kinda makes me wanna stop pushing the "sax in pop music" idea ive been trying to get into. seems like a dead end. guess ill stick to what the sax was made for. FUNK! and of course jazz. :)

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Not sure about that, In the 50's the tenor and bari saxes WERE rock n roll. This was a Golden Age and set the standard for rock sax playing.

On the main point living and working in England " Retro" music for want of a better word is everywhere. I'm not talking about showbands and tribute etc but
creative music. The way the music business is really anything goes and many of the younger musicians are into the sounds and equipment of the 50's 60's and 70's
Some are into the 80's ( but we don't talk about them). A sax will definitely work.

Another point I think is getting beyond the " Solo" mentality. This was predominant in the 80's where the sax took over from the singer for a few bars or played the intro/outro. Playing ensemble parts never dates..adding to the arrangment..even fitting in with the electronic instruments. That's what I do a fair bit of and working in electronic music has opened my eyes to many possibilities. If you want to play a bit of " Hero sax" barechested in leather pants fair enough but a bari sax can be played as a rhythm instrument as can a tenor and be a vital part of the sound.

I haven't heard the records mentioned but it sounds like the producers are being ironic using these sax icons..nothing wrong with that. The next one up will be Tina Turners saxman for 4 bars. Everything comes back eventually altered a little maybe like clothing fashion.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i think its best to leave the pop music ! every time i do a "pop" gig people approach me and start by telling me how much they love the sax. then they cite the 3 examples of their "love" -baker street ,pink panther and davey payne playing 2 saxes on rhythm stick! the conclusion i came to is that if anyone actually cares enough to want to impress these people they should play much less notes and do it,either naked or standing on one leg or something

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
In the 50's....guitar took a back seat to the sax. That's history.

Producers today- 9 x outta 10 are so clueless about EVERYTHING not just how a horn sounds...and ditto recording/sound guys. The beat goes on.....

Clarence? He was just doing his job.:mrgreen:
Think about it. The guy is a _figure_within the industry. I have no problem with him- nr doI think he did anything with Gaga other than do what anyone with a brain woulda did- MAKE THE GIG. A gig is a gig!!! Clarence is a star!! Also IMHO, a very very savy guy. He probally got a huge taste $$$$ wise . He _KNOWS_that in a few years ( or sooner!! lol) GAGA is gonna be GONE-GONE. :whistle::arrgh:

In the right setting, and right decorum Clarence knows what to do- and HOW to do it. Check his entrance with Lady Soul on her hit ;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip_pjb5_fgA

R n' R is big biz...and right now- it's way way to WEAK from the saXual side for sure. That's due to to much PRO-TOOLS genius types and home recording blah blah etc etc. It'll change, and it won't take long.

Most touring bands, Tina Turner, Rod Stewart etc have great sax players on the gig. Time will tell.

In the meantime remember these???:bluewink::)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHF558u6Q_8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1W4rVB-vlg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trVpxr6gc6w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp2yW4esyd8&feature=related

Years later....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NehZl_X3hjQ ( Bobby Keys )

1 - 20 of 79 Posts