Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm living now in Costa Rica right now where its the "Épocha lluvia" or rainy season, which is for about 7 months a year. The climate is VERY humid. Unfortunately I don't have a dry room/closet to store my saxophones etc, so I have two of my horns stored in a friends dry closet, which is a closet that has a de-humidifier running to protect vulnerable things from being ruined by moisture. On a sax, leather pads, steel springs and rods are all especially susceptible to moisture damage. I can't leave them in his dry room forever, and of course I need access to them.

I'm looking at purchasing a bag of silica gel packets when I visit the USA in a couple of weeks. You can reuse them by either putting them in a microwave, dehydrator, or leaving them out in the sun if the climate is dry enough for a day. Does any other ideas in this situation?

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Most modern pads have a waterproofing which makes them less vulnerable to humidity. For rods and pivot screws keeping them oiled is the best thing you can do. You could from time to time unhook all of your springs and rub each one with a Q-tip soaked in medium viscosity key oil before reattaching them. Swabbing the inside of the body and neck on a regular basis is a good idea as well. I think the greatest danger would be if the body of the sax were to get cool and moisture from the air condenses on the surface and in the nooks and crannies. If you notice this, perhaps a hair dryer might come in handy.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,927 Posts
+1 to inhibiting steel parts from corrosion.

If it has a lacquer finish or unlacquered finish, I would also coat it with a product such as Meguiar's Polish to protect the finish and limit corrosion from the salt air.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,917 Posts
As Saxoclese mentioned using a hairdryer I think is a good idea. Electric heat is dry air. I’m not exactly wild about the desiccant. You can’t really tell when it’s fully saturated. Also what good does it do you in a dehumidified cabinet. Having it in a case from the time you leave the house. Then play somewhere and return is like having a boat at sea. You take care of it back it port.
Having a Hygrometer may help monitor the issue. Keeping everything lubed will be your best friend. A gun oil like Hoppes No. 9 Lubricating Oil is specially made for this purpose. Guns, fishing reels etc. used in harsh environments. If that’s unavailable a application pen of WD-40 will work. It’s just not my favorite first pick.

You could also send your instruments here to sunny Southern California. I’ll store them for free and let you use my recently coated two tone alto.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Just bought some cheap silica in a convenient metal container that can easily be "recharged" in the oven, for use during gigs. It even has an indicator that tells when the silica is saturated and needs to be desiccated. Haven't tested it in the field yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts