Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone got any experience of keeping saxophones in a hot, humid climate?
I will be taking a saxophone from the UK (which even in summer is not prone to being hot and humid) to Africa for several months.
I'm thinking of leaving the good horn at home and taking a cheap one with me instead but maybe that would just leave me with a useless set of pads for when I return?
Thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Has anyone got any experience of keeping saxophones in a hot, humid climate?
I will be taking a saxophone from the UK (which even in summer is not prone to being hot and humid) to Africa for several months.
I'm thinking of leaving the good horn at home and taking a cheap one with me instead but maybe that would just leave me with a useless set of pads for when I return?
Thoughts anyone?
Since Africa is not a country I think it would depend on what part of Africa.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
631 Posts
from a tropical country, cleaning of the instrument after playing is ever more important :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,354 Posts
from a tropical country, cleaning of the instrument after playing is ever more important :)
unless you want to turn it into a science project....:mrgreen:reeds are more a problem then the sax though, usually pads hold out pretty well. reeds don't.
During my last tour in Thailand my reeds died very fast, and became green or worse.:(
Take lots of reeds with you , preferably sealed so the moisture can't reach them.
If you play Vandoren, you're lucky since every individual reed is sealed.
Also clean your reeds after playing, they'll last longer.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Having lived in South Florida for many years, I'll 2nd this advice!

·
Registered
716 Posts
if you are living and practicing in an air conditioned environment then it is probably a non-issue. The worst is playing outside in the heat near the ocean. But I did this regularly in Dubai, and my horns held up fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the advice everyone and yes, I can be more specific - I shall be going to Gambia, West Africa with side trips out South Africa.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I live in central Florida in Sebring and have no problems with my pads. I participate in a marching band and the only issues I have with my alto is when it rains. There's sometimes nothing we can do. However, in the 6 years I have owned my sax, I got the pads replaced once. Reeds however I agree get old and warped fast.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,888 Posts
Reeds however I agree get old and warped fast.
Reeds are a pain in very dry climates (but not for me ho, ho, Mr Smug uses synthetics)

Hot countries, either humid or dry should be no problem for saxophones. Wasn't the reason they invented metal clarinets so that they could be used in the tropics, where wooden ones might split a bit?

·
Registered
763 Posts
And France did not hold a couple areas all over the planet at the time with quite a few in hot climate?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm also concerned about this. I started playing the tenor saxophone only a few weeks ago and I'm going to Paraguay as an exchange student in a little over a month. Taking it from Florida (Cape Coral) to Iceland (where I live) seemed to have no effect at all but I think Paraguay is both more humid (not sure) and hotter so I am a bit worried. It's a Kessler Custom KCT-ST Performance Model tenor sax and apparently made of annealed brass (70% of which is copper). The pads are made of leather so I'm not really worried about the humidity getting to them. Should I be worried about taking it with me?

Here's a link to the specs if it makes any difference.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
My pads stick more in hot weather and since the sax plays sharper in hot weather, mouthpieces that are a tad loose on the cork won't work as they have to be pulled out farther... Other than those small aggravations, I can't really tell a difference between hot and cold gigs.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
In the summer Arkansas is often hotter and more humid than much of Africa. In 2003, my company had a group working in Luanda, Angola. Everyday that summer, it was cooler and less humid than back home in Arkansas.

I try to avoid leaving saxophones in cars and in direct sunlight. It can sometimes cause pads and corks to fall off. I also wipe the sax down after playing and I often leave my saxes on stands rather than leaving them in the case.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I try to avoid leaving saxophones in cars and in direct sunlight. It can sometimes cause pads and corks to fall off. I also wipe the sax down after playing and I often leave my saxes on stands rather than leaving them in the case.
Excellent advice. I live in South Florida and leaving your horn in the car is a big NO NO! Even if I go into a restaurant to eat, I will bring my sax in with me. Definitely swab and clean the horn after EVERY use. I will also often leave the horn on a stand overnight to let it dry out completely before putting it back in it's case.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,205 Posts
It's not particularly hot in Hawaii, but its quite humid where I live, and we use neither heat nor AC. Like Pete, I've finally gone to synthetic reeds--after ten years it was just too frustrating.

My horns do fine, except that I must watch out for verdigris and red rot where the lacquer is worn. Pads do fine.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
My pads stick more in hot weather and since the sax plays sharper in hot weather, mouthpieces that are a tad loose on the cork won't work as they have to be pulled out farther... Other than those small aggravations, I can't really tell a difference between hot and cold gigs.
Why does your horn play sharper in hot weather?

I know pianos play flatter because the heat expands the strings.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts