Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, sorry but this is all I've got! I'm looking to see if anyone can ID this Tenor. There is an estate auction in a couple days and I am looking to possible purchase it for a backup to my current tenor (40-50's Malerne). It looks a little Martin-esque to me...but I am not an expert by any means.

Thanks for any help!

PS Yes I will see it in person the day of the sale but trying to see if I can figure out the make/model beforehand so I can think about how much I want to pay, etc. View attachment 232722

PPS There is also an alto for sale that I might pick up. Again, same situation with having only one picture (sorry!) View attachment 232724

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. :) I know it's not the best picture. Unfortunately, that is all that was posted. Waiting until the sale to check them out myself is the real answer-but I am an impatient person. lol

Last night at practice I discovered a missing pivot screw-had to use a paperclip-and one of the big pads on the bell kept falling out of the cup, despite my harried lighter attempts. I *really* need a backup so I can send mine for some fixing (ugh).

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Something seems odd about the neck of that horn in the first pic. It could just be the angle it's sitting at but the proportions don't look right for a normal tenor.

You might want to consider checking out some used horns from dealers that would meet your needs with fewer unknowns and potential hassles. SOTW member JayeLID runs this business; http://www.2ndending.com/saxes.html

He's well known and regarded here and offers great deals on some of the lesser known vintage horns that would arrive on your doorstep ready to play and needing nothing for sometime.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,981 Posts
Thank you, kind sir.

Keith is correct in regards to the auction horn. The swoop of that neck makes me think it isn't a Bundy 1 but rather a European horn, either a French or Italian stencil of some sort....It may also possibly be a very late King Cleveland/615, which had that sorta neck profile as well....

Thank you. :) I know it's not the best picture. Unfortunately, that is all that was posted. Waiting until the sale to check them out myself is the real answer-but I am an impatient person. lol

Last night at practice I discovered a missing pivot screw-had to use a paperclip-and one of the big pads on the bell kept falling out of the cup, despite my harried lighter attempts. I *really* need a backup so I can send mine for some fixing (ugh).
If you are waiting on that auction horn, the likelihood is it won't be in playable condition so securing it (whatever it may be) may ultimately NOT gain you anything but a second sax which needs work.

(not to come off like a shark here, but...) if you need a decent tenor on a budget, completely serviced, contact me via my website if you have the inclination: [email protected]

If you don't have a locally available tech to repair your current horn, I can do that as well as part of a deal...

There are, of course, other avenues one can take to find a playable Tenor. Your local craigslist, for example. Unfortunately due to the newness of your membership on this Forum, you do not yet have access to transact in the Marketplace.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Jaye:

Don't the King Cleveland horns have right side bell keys? If so, I think that is ruled out as the bell keys are left side.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,107 Posts
The Zephyrs and Super 20s had rightside bell keys, the Clevelands did not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
View attachment 233012 View attachment 233014 View attachment 233016 View attachment 233018 View attachment 233020

Well, the sale was last night and here is what I got for $120. It's a totally un-engraved Bundy with a wiped serial. Playable but with a few niggle wiggles (nothing a tech can't tweek). Pads are good. I think it's a Buescher made Bundy but I have no idea how old. There was no case (no biggie). It sounds brighter than my Malerne, which I am not crazy over, but for a cheap backup, really can't complain! I am not sure about the neck, if it's original or not. The lacquer is almost bare, as opposed to the really good lacquer on the actual sax. Also, even with my mp pulled all the way out, it plays extremely sharp. I am not sure why-maybe my Selmer C* mp? Or the neck? I really have no idea. I think for the price I have something I can play while my Malerne gets fixes (missing screw, pads that fall out, needs a food regulation tweeking). This Bundy seems clunkier in terms of ergonomics-especially between A flat and B flat is abysmal to my fingers-but is very solid ("built like a tank") whilst my Malerne is more fragile and finicky with staying in regulation, etc.

I also scored a sweet deal on an alto (for another $120). It's a very low serial (95##) Noblet Serie Maville (thinking made by Beaugnier?) and plays (though the low big pads are warbly-probably a little dry & leaky). I didn't put it to a tuner so I don't know about that yet, but it plays nicely and the ergos are definitely really good. Seems like a really solid little horn. I think for the price, I got a good deal (on both horns).

View attachment 233022 View attachment 233024 View attachment 233026

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jaye:

Thank you so much for your information. The prices on your saxes are really good! Do you work on saxes if they are shipped to you? I would love my main instrument to have affordable, good work done to it-I can tell you more if you do this kind of thing. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts