Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a decent stand mounted mic for sax that I can also use for harmonica. I do a lot of switching back and forth and I'm tired of the bullet mic I'm currently using with my harmonicas. I need a stand mount mic for hand effects with the harp that can double on for sax. Would the Shure SM57 be a good choice? Got any suggestions?

·
Registered
976 Posts
A harp playing friend uses a EV n/d468 for harp, & I used one for tenor, at the time. The n/d468 is egg shaped. I eventually chgd to a n/d478, because the n/d468 "loads up" on the lowest tenor notes. But it seems to work well for harp.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
I play harp through a Green Bullet.
One of my most embarrassing moments was to save time by playing sax also through this mic.
Dreadful....not the route to take.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use the green bullet too... but I like to use had effects and hate grabbing for it after a sax solo. It would be nice to have the same stand mounted mic, for both applications. Just adjust the stand and play on!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
What a coinsodence.

I've got two EV 664 and two EV 701 "Chrome Hammers" that I am refurbishing for sale to raise money for additional wireless mics for my church. My understand is that these are highly sought by harmonica players.

The big problem is that these old heavy solid EV mics use a 4-wire plug. But I bought some adapters. So now they all work with standard XLR cables just like any modern mic. I have recording of each mic but haven't taken any photos yet, If interested, send me a PM.

Here's one of the sound clips:

http://cierra.cc/ev_demo1.mp3

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
If you decide not to go with Enviroguys EV664's, a SM 58 will do ok for both instruments....nothing is going to be great because they are two different instruments with different volume levels and characteristics.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you decide not to go with Enviroguys EV664's, a SM 58 will do ok for both instruments....nothing is going to be great because they are two different instruments with different volume levels and characteristics.
I have a digitech 400 pedal. I have the harp effects hotter than the sax effects to compensate for the volume difference. Makes less work for the sound guy. Do you think a 58 would be better than a 57 in this case?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
I have a digitech 400 pedal. I have the harp effects hotter than the sax effects to compensate for the volume difference. Makes less work for the sound guy. Do you think a 58 would be better than a 57 in this case?
Just because of the ball for the harp - it seperates the harp from the capsule by a small bit - but enough to pick up a more even sound than I think you'd get trying to use a 57...they pretty much work just as well on sax as a 57...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just because of the ball for the harp - it seperates the harp from the capsule by a small bit - but enough to pick up a more even sound than I think you'd get trying to use a 57...they pretty much work just as well on sax as a 57...
Gotcha.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 200
1,436 Posts
I use a 58 for both , just one small boom adjustment and its done - I find the levels dont need touching either .

·
6,715 Posts
Dave do you use the mic in hand or on a stand? Just curious... I think 75% of my harp playing will be on a stand.
None of my harp playing is with a stand mounted mic.....one can get into it more if hand held.
The SM 58 is fine, easier to hold than the 57, but far more biased to good sax sound than harp...nothing like as warm & crunchy as a Green Bullet.....especially with a little reverb or delay.
Just one mic compromises both instruments in my opinion.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
None of my harp playing is with a stand mounted mic.....one can get into it more if hand held.
The SM 58 is fine, easier to hold than the 57, but far more biased to good sax sound than harp...nothing like as warm & crunchy as a Green Bullet.....especially with a little reverb or delay.
Just one mic compromises both instruments in my opinion.
Hmm... I just don't care for the bullet's tone.. It's great for blues I guess, but I do more country, and Jazz type stuff... I like the hand effects and the freedom of not having a heavy corded mic in my hands. I find the bullet impedes my movement around the harp too.. I'm much faster and accurate without holding a mic. Just preferences I guess...

·
6,715 Posts
Hmm... I just don't care for the bullet's tone.. It's great for blues I guess, but I do more country, and Jazz type stuff... I like the hand effects and the freedom of not having a heavy corded mic in my hands. I find the bullet impedes my movement around the harp too.. I'm much faster and accurate without holding a mic. Just preferences I guess...
Yes, they do feel clumsy at first, but, as I play only blues harp it sounds fine....it was OK for Little Walter.....& who can argue with him.
You learn to move your head quickly, rather than the mic.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, they do feel clumsy at first, but, as I play only blues harp it sounds fine....it was OK for Little Walter.....& who can argue with him.
You learn to move your head quickly, rather than the mic.
Gotcha. I've been playing a green bullet for 10 years (off and on) on gigs. The bullet is not new to me... but I've always carried a harp in my pocket and played it where ever I went. All that practice time without the bullet in my hands has really changed my style of playing over the years... Now I find the acoustic sound of the instrument more desirable, and the "free" feel of not holding a mic.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts