Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,299 Posts
What is a venturi angle?
It's the convergence cone angle--around 15 to 20 degrees. I didn't really understand that, but I feel smarter now.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Theo Wanne has some mouthpieces that feature a similar interior to the neck enhancer. I haven't tried either.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,484 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venturi_effect

From TFA:
"Venturi tubes
The simplest apparatus, as shown in the photograph and diagram, is a tubular setup known as a Venturi tube or simply a venturi. Fluid flows through a length of pipe of varying diameter. To avoid undue drag, a Venturi tube typically has an entry cone of 30 degrees and an exit cone of 5 degrees. To account for the assumption of an inviscid fluid a coefficient of discharge is often introduced, which generally has a value of 0.98."

In practice, the most anyone has to care is it involves a gradual change in size of a tube, which is exactly what this "neck enhancer" is.

Does it do anything to improve anything? No idea at all.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
I made one of these one time to try on a Winston soprano. It created additional resistance and darkened the sound. It also skewed the intonation quite a bit and proved unusable.

Since some mouthpieces, including a few vintage ones, have restrictions designed into them, this is probably not a totally foolish idea. Maybe I just didn't have my "venturi angle" right. :bluewink:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Maybe I just didn't have my "venturi angle" right
Well Mr Saxophone world headquarters did say that he's been working on it since 1998. B.T.W. in layman's terms a venturi is a length of tube made up of two cone's, the inlet cone is of a much steeper angle and shorter whereas the exit cone is longer and less of an angle, the idea is that the air flow speeds up as it passes through the narrowest part, i.e. the bit between the two cones but retains this air speed as it exits the widest part at the far end.
What effect this would have on how a saxophone plays i would have no idea, except that it could make it play sharp? or jump octaves?

·
19,062 Posts
One of the players in one of the bands I play in, had a couple of these for sale. I tried one and as modman says above.......total gimmick. Buying one of these would be a complete waste of money.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ahhhh... The Bernoulli Theorem...why didn'y you say so?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernoulli's_principle

Well Mr Saxophone world headquarters did say that he's been working on it since 1998. B.T.W. in layman's terms a venturi is a length of tube made up of two cone's, the inlet cone is of a much steeper angle and shorter whereas the exit cone is longer and less of an angle, the idea is that the air flow speeds up as it passes through the narrowest part, i.e. the bit between the two cones but retains this air speed as it exits the widest part at the far end.
What effect this would have on how a saxophone plays i would have no idea, except that it could make it play sharp? or jump octaves?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Waste of brass. I got one from the troll for free, tried it and chucked it. Nothing like good support and a horn that doesn't leak. If you like your mpc and horn setup, why add crap to it?

K
43yrs of sax and going strong

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,887 Posts
this item is probably the single sax item that could be double (or triple) blind tested in the easiest way because it can be put in and out of the neck without the player noticing its presence so the player and the audience would't know whether this implement is there or not and won't be influenced by knowing this in the judgment of its performance. To my knowledge nobody, not even his " inventor" has done that.

·
1,484 Posts
Rifled pips? Sounds like more snake oil.

·
1,484 Posts
Speaking of the beer, I would never be caught dead drinking a Miller Lite. I think snake oil would actually taste better.

·
Out of Office
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,105 Posts
Speaking of the beer, I would never be caught dead drinking a Miller Lite. I think snake oil would actually taste better.
I'm sure that can be arranged

Come to think of it, I can't think of one American beer I'd be caught dead drinking.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.