Sax on the Web Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone played the sax Gourmet tenor or goodson bari?I have the tenor and bari here and they are outstanding!I currently am playing mauriat saxes but these are even better...Very big and fat sounding and very comfortable to play...saxmanpete

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
has anybody tried these or do we just bash the designer for the sake of fun? i've never tried his horns but i did purchase his thumb rest and love it. i have read some of the old forums on Steve G and obviously there are a lot of hostilities towards him and the problems he had with unison saxes. don't know the details .there was a lot of bashing about and accusations that his new project would crash and burn like unision and right about the time he actually released his new saxes the forum was shut down.

so again, has anybody else tried these new horns ? I don't care if the designer is certifiable or not, do the horns play? I did see the unison sax listed as one of the best in tune saxes on another thread.
tom scott and jay beckenstein are the endorsers. both are monster players.

anybody care to give an objective, educated opinion about these horns? is that possible on this forum?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
SAXISMYAXE said:
As long as everyone takes Saxxsymbol's suggestion and concentrates on actual hands on experience with the horns in question, we should remain on course.
and
jmm1713 said:
If you buy one make sure its not from goodson himself
10 minutes for that request to be ignored - shame, it would be interesting to learn a little about the Goodson horns, I've already learned sufficient about people's opinions of Goodson. I know very little about his horns.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
1,404 Posts
saxmanpete said:
Has anyone played the sax Gourmet tenor or goodson bari?

I have, on two occasions. As a Bari Player, I usually try any Bari I can get my hands and I was fortunate enough try Steve's Bari and compare it to all the other Baris at the shows. Steve has been talking about his Bari for a long time.

The SG baris that I played were both great horns. They played very well in tune with my Lawton 6*B. Steve's bari has a huge sound and plays very evenly. I didn't notice the usually low end problems I am sensitive to on Low A baris. My personal Bari is a Conn 12M and I love it. If I get another Bari (which I will likely have to do for the low A), I will be calling Steve.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've played on the SG model alto and thought that it was pretty good. I was shocked that the altissimo key actually worked, and worked quite well at that. However I thought the key rods were kind of soft. There was far more flexibility to them then on other altos I have played on.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
saxmanpete said:
Has anyone played the sax Gourmet tenor or goodson bari?I have the tenor and bari here and they are outstanding!I currently am playing mauriat saxes but these are even better...Very big and fat sounding and very comfortable to play...saxmanpete
I'm kinda bummed by "big and fat" these days. Everybody wants BigFat.

Do these horns have the potential to sound like a Selmer, with a sweet bell-tone ringing sound? I have an SML that can be big&fat or sweet and centered. Oh wait, why should I care.... It appears I can get a genuine Selmer for less than an SG (assuming ebay is any guide....)

I suppose what I'm getting at is ..... oh, never mind. What was the price line you were quoted on the SGs? How would you compare build quality relative to a good French-made brand (Selmer, Buffet, SML) or a Yanagisawa?

Lastly, what are the salient differences distinguishing the SaxGourmet from the Steve Goodson models?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,263 Posts
* Saxxsymbol - jay beckenstein was an endorser of regular LA SAX saxes (pre-Goodson) so his endorsment should be taken with a grain of salt. Tom Scott was an endorser of LA Saxes's B&S made horn.
* Saxmanpete - you say "I have the tenor and bari here"...what does that mean? Did you buy them for personal use? Are you going to be a dealer of Goodson saxes?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
the SG baris are $ 4500. not much more than a jupiter and several thousand less than any other pro bari.the gold plate altos are $2800 i think. about the same as a custom yamaha 82Z lacquer.
the saxgourmet horns are all hand made with different keywork, bell, bore, etc.
still i haven't blown one. I am real happy with my yamahas and Conn 12M bari. no need for me to try them.Curt at Music Medic has a good reputation though. anybody else tried them?

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
goodson horns?

Hello all,
I ordered a goodson curved soprano and am taking delivery some time next week. I will be posting a detailed critique in a week. Keep in mind, I got the regular goodson and not the saxgourmet, which doesn't come in a curved soprano, only a saxello style. Anyway, one week away. Cheers

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
Hey guys, Tom Scott is playing the saxgourmet

Art_Salt said:
* Saxxsymbol - jay beckenstein was an endorser of regular LA SAX saxes (pre-Goodson) so his endorsment should be taken with a grain of salt. Tom Scott was an endorser of LA Saxes's B&S made horn.
* Saxmanpete - you say "I have the tenor and bari here"...what does that mean? Did you buy them for personal use? Are you going to be a dealer of Goodson saxes?

Hey guys,
According to the L.A. sax website, Tom Scott is playing the new saxgourmet tenor these days. It might be just a paid indorsment or he might actually play them. I guess we will find out at the next gig he plays with a sotw member in attendance who is taking note. Just wanted to put in my 2 cents. Cheers, Bill

·
Forum Founder
3,877 Posts
But did he pay for it?

William Bua said:
Hey guys,
According to the L.A. sax website, Tom Scott is playing the new saxgourmet tenor these days. It might be just a paid indorsment or he might actually play them. I guess we will find out at the next gig he plays with a sotw member in attendance who is taking note. Just wanted to put in my 2 cents. Cheers, Bill
From horse's mouth:
THE SAXGOURMET DAILY PICAYUNE-INTELLEGENCIER AND JOURNAL EXPRESS

Wednesday, April 18, 2007
Saxophone Endorsers......

"We are all too aware that any instrument maker on the planet would be
all over them to obtain their endorsement, and we are quite happy that
they both chose to use and promote our products. Yes, I see to it that
Tom and Jay are well taken care of, and yes, I provide them with
instruments and other products that we sell.
..................."
At least Tom Scott did not put his money where his mouth is.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
I know of several instrument endorsers* who did use the horns they endorsed at events, or on certain occasions. The rest of the time they used other horns in their stable. So bear in mind that because someone endorses it does not mean they use that horn exclusively, all the time. (they are gear hounds like many here, and there are some who will just take anything if it's free).

* my statements have nothing to do with the specific horns in question, but rather deal with the instrument endorsements in general.

·
Banned
2,206 Posts
If you've been lurking around here long enough to know where the "bodies are buried" you should also keep in mind that Mr. Goodson has a not-so-rosy history with a few of the mods on here, both past and present. So with that in mind, we should all take "critiques of critiques" with a grain of salt to boot.... :D

I have read on the saxquest forum that Goodson has done extensive research to replicate the alloy formulas of the great horns of yesteryear, and that his horns are comparable quality-wise with the P. Mauriats, which also come out of Taiwan. The only difference is that the Goodson horns cost a lot less. If you want to learn more, contact fellow SOTW member Steve "Sarge" Stransky of worldwidesax.com, as the Sarge now carries Goodson's entire line.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,014 Posts
Swingtone said:
I have read on the saxquest forum that Goodson has done extensive research to replicate the alloy formulas of the great horns of yesteryear...
You don't think that's puffery on the part of the seller?

Swingtone said:
...which also come out of Taiwan.
Which model are you saying comes out of Taiwan and what is your source, if you don't mind?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.