Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
As a sax player, I do a lot of work with DJs at the moment and am struggling to think of a catchy but sophisticated name for a Sax/DJ duo (that can be expanded with other instrumentation as required). Given how popular sax and DJ is at the moment, I'd like to capitalise on having some form of "sax" in the name but it's not essential. I can't use sexual or other coarse/crass connotations because a) I don't want that, and b) I tend to do a lot of high-end, sophisticated gigs and the venues will need to be ok with promoting the act name. e.g. the act is playing at a 5-star Sheraton marina resort on New Year's Eve this year. Finally, it'd be great if the name isn't already being used on Facebook because I can imagine quite a bit of promotion being done via FB and other social media.

Some ideas please, you creative folks?

Cheers
Gary Mulholland (my name, just in case anyone can think of a way to use this or part of it in the act name. Unfortunately, "Mulholland Drive" as an act name is already taken :cry:)

·
Registered
158 Posts
So pardon my ignorance, but I'm unfamiliar with the sax/DJ concept, but love to learn, so how does that work exactly? What sort of music are you playing?
Might help with ideas.. The crass connotations limitation really kills a lot of ideas, but I get it lol So far all I have for you is Sax and Spin, but more info might help with the creativity part.
Thanks!
Kristy

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey there Kristy. Sax/DJ is huge in Ibiza and now a lot of "trendy" music communities...basically a DJ playing house music with a sax player improvising over the top. The live sax is what gets the most attention with this sort of act, especially if the sax player has a wireless mic setup and can roam the venue, generating lots of audience interaction. It's not the easiest gig in the world because you've got to complement each track with something fresh and not just play the same licks over and over again. Plus, the majority of jazz licks don't work that well over modern house music anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion: Sax and Spin. That's a different take on things.

·
Registered
158 Posts
That sounds pretty awesome! Do you have any videos or sound clips you can refer me to so I can check it out?
Thanks!
Kristy

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,932 Posts
LOL. I can't imagine a Sheraton being overly keen on promoting Madcow!
Consider your target demographics market age group 18-28? Maddcow is spot on. Pewdy pie or however you spelled it was/is popular YouTube act. Short easy simple name. I agree with Pete. Unless you like Gary US Bombs.....test it some ya never know it just may work. FYIhttps://www.google.com/search?q=gary+us+bonds&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,932 Posts
Yea yea ! Pigsquealer And The Swinenetts 🐷🐖🐖🐖

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Some interesting suggestions!

I'm not quite sure where the "wax" from Wax and Sax comes from but it's a catchy name.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Some interesting suggestions!

I'm not quite sure where the "wax" from Wax and Sax comes from but it's a catchy name.
Wax is a reference to records/albums/vinyl as early versions were made of wax and later changed to a hard lacquer.

Thanks!!
Kristy

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wax is a reference to records/albums/vinyl as early versions were made of wax and later changed to a hard lacquer.

Thanks!!
Kristy
Oh, of course. Duh!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts