Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Work will be taking me to Youngstown, OH this autumn. Can anyone suggest any nearby establishments for trying (and maybe buying) a vintage horn?

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,306 Posts
Hi Zoot. I live between Akron and Cleveland which would be about just under an hour due West from Youngstown. I often go visit Junkdude down in Pickerington OH which is about 2.5 hours south of my location. Another location to consider would be Pittsburgh, since Youngstown would be only about 1.25 hours from there. I do not know of vintage horn shops in Pittsburgh, but maybe some other SOTW members do.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Woah, Junkdude's near there?! I'll definitely plan an outing if time allows, and likely pick up another Morgan piece, if not a new tenor altogether. Thanks mijderf.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
I've never been to Junkdude's but it is my understanding that if you go anywhere near there...you should stop in! I've talked with Dave and his wife on the phone and bought a few things as well. Good folks!

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the pointer, GT. As a devotee of John Cleves Symmes, I'd also really like to see the Hollow Earth Monument in Hamilton.

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,306 Posts
Woah, Junkdude's near there?! I'll definitely plan an outing if time allows
They sometimes head out to shows and conventions, so I recommend contacting them first to make sure they are available before making the trip. Dave and Teresa a great people to deal with. You will enjoy the trip.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
+1 for visiting Junkdude in Pickerington, it's just east of Columbus! I've bought/sold/traded several horns and mouthpieces with Dave, him being so close has been dangerous for me in the past (It's only a 30 min drive)

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what are you after,as i know a guy in madison that sells horns?
Thanks for the offer, but I'm not looking for anything in particular. I just like to frequent new shops and play lots of different horns when visiting new cities--call it sax tourism.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks jd. Unfortunately, it was a quick work trip, and I didn't have time to get to Junkdude's--though I do frequent their website often.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts